Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit a wall - any suggestions

Options
  • 30-07-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm struggling to get any substantial information about my paternal great grandfather that would get me somewhere in my family tree

What I have is following

My Grandfather: born Cork
    Father of my grandfather:
    Mother of my grandfather:

I've pretty much traced back my g grandmother another couple of generations but hitting a wall at my g grandfather,

Struggling to find a DOB for him, all I have is he was married to ???? in 1908.

Any suggestions of where to look next to get some more info

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

And the fact that he's an RIC man explains why you can't easily find him. They were not allowed serve in their own home county or that of their wife's. Also, RIC men had to be in the job 7 years before they could marry, although I see from the marriage cert he was only 20 when he married, so they must have applied different criteria to drivers. You had to be 20 to join the RIC, unless your father was also in the service, then they would take you at 19.

ETA: we decided the marriage cert doesn't say RIC but I'm leaving this post here because the above is useful info.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry for deleting the marriage record with the previous post Pinky - it says something other than RIC - as his first borns birth record says he's a soldier.
    Interestingly it took place four months before the marriage!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hmm, you know, when I first looked at the marriage cert, I didn't think it said RIC and then dismissed it because of your post.

None of the traditional Irish regiments have the initials RIA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Might that second letter be an F? Royal Field Artillery?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Could be - compare to the F in full.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

There's a service record for him on Ancestry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Oh yes, with a terrible mistranscription of O'Rourke but it gives their marriage date.

He's from Westport. Parents John & Bridget, brothers John & William, the latter in the Navy. Seems the whole family moved to Cork though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Here's a birth record for a Michael Sullivan born to John and Bridget in Castlebar.

EDIT: Service record dated 5th Sep 1907 gives his age as 18 years and nine months so birth date of 15th Jan 1889 is spot on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thanks for the speedy replies...

At least now from what you have supplied, I have his fathers name John O'Sullivan from his marriage cert

In relation to the service record for him on Ancestry? How much detail does this give? I take it this is a paid subscription site to get this info? I'm guessing from what you found the service record on Ancestry gives some info about wife/marriage details/parents/family, etc?

His service record runs to 35 pages and gives his place of birth, age when he signed up, details of when and where he served, names, dates and addresses of some family members, and other occupations he worked outside the army.

I think you can still join an Ancestry for a free two week trial which would allow you to view his record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    His service record runs to 35 pages and gives his place of birth, age when he signed up, details of when and where he served, names, dates and addresses of some family members, and other occupations he worked outside the army.

I think you can still join an Ancestry for a free two week trial which would allow you to view his record.

ok thanks, will have a look later

Thanks to the information given on this thread I was able to get lots of information about my great grandfather and his military service

In the past few days my aunt unearthed a great find in her attic, his campaign medals from WWI, thought I'd share them with the forum
    From left to right
    1. The British War Medal, 1914-18 (Established on 26th July 1919), also known as 'Squeak’
    2. The Allied Victory Medal, also known as 'Wilfred'
    3. 1939-1946 The Emergency Service Medal - Local Security Forces (Na Caomhnoiri Aitiula)
    4. The 1914-15 Star, established in December 1918, also known as 'Pip'
    5. War Medal 1939-1945 (belonged to my great uncle who was at Dunkirk and was lost on the ss Lancastria)
    6. The Allied Victory Medal, also known as 'Wilfred' (not sure why there are 2 of them)

Advertisement