Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardnacrusha dam tour

Options
  • 30-07-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Esb are opening the doors free of charge and giving a guided tour of the damage
    Any one been there??
    is it worth the trip down??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was there 2 weeks ago. It's interesting, not too long and it's free. About an hour or 90 mins depending on the size of the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks, OP, might take a wander out meself. Looks like you'd want to book in advance; it runs until the end of August but there's currently no remaining availability between now and the 15th.

Yes, it finishes at the end of August. They employed some students for the Summer to give the tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Did the tour many years ago ...... the scale and technology all put together so long ago ..... has to impress ....
    Book your tour for sure .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Moved to where ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Moved to where ?

To the Clare Forum, it didn't start here

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was thinking of going there with the kids. Very interesting stuff. There were 5,000 people working on the project incl. 1,000 German engineers from Siemens. When it was finished a basic Irish grid was setup that provided electricity to the main Irish cities. Ardnacrusha provided 100% of Ireland's electricity in 1929 :)

More info on it here:

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

You should ask this question in the 'Random Waffle Thread' on the Limerick forum too of looking for more reviews. Ardnacrusha is closer to Limerick City than it is Shannon/Ennis.

I've done the tour myself and its v interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

You should ask this question in the 'Random Waffle Thread' on the Limerick forum too of looking for more reviews. Ardnacrusha is closer to Limerick City than it is Shannon/Ennis.

I've done the tour myself and its v interesting.

is it child friendly ?
    could u use a buggy there or is there lots of steps??

• Advertisement

There are steps. You could carry them up though. It's not too bad, but you have to go up there to see the dam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

The book of the project :

https://esbarchives.ie/2016/03/15/esb-publications-the-shannon-scheme/

Thanks to user Topnotch for the link :)

Advertisement