Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Star Trek to you?

Options
  • 30-07-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭

With comments suggesting Star Trek Discovery "doesn't look like Trek", it prompts the question; what actually is Star Trek to you?

For me, the core of Star Trek is about exploration, not only of space, new races, and new cultures, but also of what it means to be a good person, aka the human condition. Morality, philosophical and hard decisions, doing the right thing even when that's the hard thing.

Obviously the trailer for Discovery doesn't suggest these things, but who can slate it for that, it's a mere trailer. Can the show have depth, heart, & character? Of course it can. So what's Star Trek to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well put,

I'd also add the sense of adventure.

Also fond of some pew pew pew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Interesting that, one of my all time favourite episodes of ANY Star Trek franchise, wasn't even set in space (TNG; The Inner Light...now that's Star Trek)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Inviere wrote: »
    ...but also of what it means to be a good person...
    I'd drop the good. Trek can explore the darker parts of people too.

Well put,

I'd also add the sense of adventure.

That's what I'm excited to see the most - what sort of battle sequences we might expect. The ones in Voyager and Deep Space 9 are among the best, in my opinion, and these were done with early to late 90s technology.

With the way that compositing and effects have gone, especially on the smaller screen, then I'm hoping for something impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I tend to find the space battle stuff pretty dull to be honest. DS9 was better before the war broke out.

For me, Trek is best when it's exploring, like the OP said, not just space and science but also the human condition.

Measure of a Man is a highpoint. City on the Edge of Forever. The Inner Light.

And the mysteries of space travel, like Where Silence has Lease, Parallels, Where No One Has Gone Before.

Also I'm a sucker for Klingon lore and culture. The Klingon stuff in DS9 was great, and TNG's Redemption two-parter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Evade wrote: »
    I'd drop the good. Trek can explore the darker parts of people too.

Indeed, though that's usually balanced by conflict from the other perspective (Picard versus the Admiralty, Janeway v Chakotay, Sisko v himself at times & the pressures forced upon him by war etc). The brilliant thing is that it can put an incredibly thoughful character like Picard, in a situation where he has to do something he doesn't agree with, & it shows us his ethical wrestling etc...Journey's End comes to mind.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    I tend to find the space battle stuff pretty dull to be honest. DS9 was better before the war broke out.

For me, Trek is best when it's exploring, like the OP said, not just space and science but also the human condition.

Measure of a Man is a highpoint. City on the Edge of Forever. The Inner Light.

And the mysteries of space travel, like Where Silence has Lease, Parallels, Where No One Has Gone Before.

Also I'm a sucker for Klingon lore and culture. The Klingon stuff in DS9 was great, and TNG's Redemption two-parter.

I'm very much of the same ilk, absolutely love Klingon lore & history. I've always held a fascination for the much unexplored Romulan culture too, not as much their military side, but the civilian & political sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Darmok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I also like the pew pew pew....but TNG the defector where picard looks like he's about to get hammered by the romulans but then has 3 birds of prey decloak was example of a great story. Tomalok was a great character with great chemistry vs picard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

368100 wrote: »
    I also like the pew pew pew....but TNG the defector where picard looks like he's about to get hammered by the romulans but then has 3 birds of prey decloak was example of a great story. Tomalok was a great character with great chemistry vs picard.

that imo, is one of the truly best moments in TNG and the score in the background with the changes in how it looks like the romulans have the advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree with the OP. To me that is what Star Trek is and does best.

It also a great moments like the one mentioned above in The Defector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmldpYnFzw

I still remember seeing this for the first time with my Dad and older brother not quite understanding why the Romulans backed off after the Klingon bod's decloaked and asking them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

An enjoyable TV series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Darmok.

Shaka, when the walls fell

Advertisement