Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had provisional motorbike license expired do I have to do test again

Options
  • 30-07-2017 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I had a provisional motorbike license which expired around 5 years ago, my question is can I just get a learner permit again to do the full license test or will I have to do it all over again theory test and all that? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's borderline for you - the rule is that if a learner permit is expired for 5 years or more than you're a full startover. If it's expired under 5 years, you're entitled to renew.

Doing some math - if you were 25 in 2012 (when you registered) you are the kind of age whereby you may have gotten on the road in a car before 2006. If that were the case, you may have gotten the combined car and bike theory test meaning you may not be required to take the theory test specifically for the bike today (assuming you can't renew your previous permit).

If you were on the A-restricted permit, you probably weren't required to take IBT at any point. If your previous permit is renewable, the biggest bike you can be tested on is the A2 (medium power) bikes without having to take IBT. If you want higher power bikes, you're looking at IBT regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barryshan25

Hi thanks for your quick reply, my license expired on the 10/05/13

So you think I shouldn't have to do the theory test again it's under 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You'll be simply renewing your expired permit so :) No theory test necessary. Your start date for your bike category(s) will remain the same.

The next question is whether it was your first, second, third or subsequent learner permit for bikes. If it was your first one, then no problem, just renew it. If not, you may have to book a driving test in advance of renewing your permit.

Advertisement