Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a school board game collection

Options
  • 29-07-2017 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping someone could suggest some less typical board games to stock in our school library (2nd level).

We have standards like chess, Scrabble, Monopoly and Boggle. Carcassonne has proved hugely popular. Over the holidays, I've bought One Night Werewolf, Skull and Catan. Any other suggestions?

I'm hoping to set up a club of some sort when we reopen (I'm on staff, not a student).

Many thanks,

painauchocolat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Guess who is always fun.not really a board game but jenga.battleship is another cluedo is a favorite of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'd definitely get Ticket to Ride. Easy to learn, I haven't played it with anyone who doesn't like it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

There have been a number of threads about this on BoardGameGeek. Here's a link to the first one I found.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25416968#25416968

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

HivemindXX wrote: »
    There have been a number of threads about this on BoardGameGeek. Here's a link to the first one I found.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25416968#25416968

That's ideal, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

How about Discovering Ireland? It's very easy to pick up and play but still requires a decent enough level of strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pandemic is a great game.

Could also try Spyfall and Codenames, can learn the rules in less than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The boardgamegeek list posted earlier is a good start. From my own experience introducing board games to others I'd recommend Codenames, The Resistance, Pandemic & Ticket to Ride. If you go for Pandemic try to get the 'vanilla' version (the original edition not 'legacy'). The Legacy version is great but it has a 'campaign' style that you need to play it through with the same group of players.

Take a look at "shut up & sit down" reviews especially anything they tag with "SU&SD recommends" or "The Opener" (for introducing games to new players).
    They had a recent article about building a games collection for under $10 with print 'n play games - SU&SD board game collection for $10. Apart from Cards against Humanity the rest of the games look perfectly fine for school club. SU&SD rave a lot about one of those games in the print 'n play list : "2 rooms and a boom" - it seems like a lot of fun but it needs a larger group of players (from 6 up to 30 players).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

My Transition Years love card games. Coup and Love Letters (the Batman edition) have been big hits. Citadels is another one they've enjoyed.

I have a good collection of board games at home and don't mind bringing them in to school but I'm conscious that they're often too long for the kids. They just wouldn't get it finished in a single class or lunchtime. I've introduces a few of them to co-op games, Forbidden Island went down well. I reckon Pandemic would be appreciated as well but it takes longer to play.

Oh I nearly forgot the biggest hit I had! King of Tokyo went down a storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll have some successes to report back by Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Inis, with its Irish Mythology theme, could be a good choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Mouse Trap was always a favorite of ours, along with kuplunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Castle panic is fairly easy to explain and play, might be a bit basic for older kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just want to second the nominations for Citadels, the Resistance, King of Tokyo and Codenames. I always enjoy Taboo too. Secret Hitler is a great game along the lines of the resistance but with a handy historical aspect that could be good for a school! Actually come to think of it I'm not sure if Secret Hitler has been released on the general market yet. But it's a good one to keep an eye out for.

Advertisement