Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

find like minding people to start a business

Options
  • 29-07-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been in the Web Business for about 10 years. I want to start my own business, but there are certain skills i don't have which would be needed.

The main skills i need is back end dev

i've front end / social media / seo ( on page ) / project management / google tools / some graphic design exp / PPC / little digital marketing.

I've out sourced a lot of work in the past but would love to have a person in office ( when i get an office ) that has the same passion to get things off the ground.

ideally I'd like a business partner and not someone I hire, someone that needs/wants the business to make it. Someone that can work hard.

Do you guys know of anywhere you could seek someone like this ? None of my friends are interested in web design / web dev

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could try some of the meet-ups for web types around the country?
    I'm not sure where you're based, but if you're close to Dublin, Cork, Galway or Limerick there's probably some groups that meet-up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

NeVeR wrote: »
    I've been in the Web Business for about 10 years. I want to start my own business, but there are certain skills i don't have which would be needed.

The main skills i need is back end dev

You might consider doing a few years of contracting first as a half way house to starting a business with more than just yourself in it.

Firstly you'll learn the ropes of how to run a business which is not a skill well taught here in Ireland. So specifically, how the tax system works, accounting, cash flow planning, payroll, all that boring stuff all of which makes or breaks businesses e.g. right now, I've had one month of income so far in 2017, and that's okay because I planned for a worst case situation of nine months without income.

Secondly, once in contracting you'll end up meeting lots more contractors, and unlike many permies they'll mostly have some business chops.

Thirdly, when you retire aged fifty-something, if you've structured your business accounts correctly then you'll get a tax free lump sum perfect for starting a business with using all the other fifty-something former contractors doing the same thing. Plus you'll have extensive network of contacts and know what niches to pursue for a viable business plan.

And of course, if as a contractor you're seeing far more work come in than you can handle, you can always hire someone to help part time. Sometimes those part time helpers develop into business co-owners. Sometimes with an external contractor it may be obvious for you to pair up after a few years of working together. Lots of permutations.

Niall

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not an expert in this field, but personally I would find it quite difficult to go into business with a complete stranger. The risk would just be way too high. It would need to be someone I know a bit, whether that be someone I've actually worked with or someone I know from an online community etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

awec wrote: »
    I'm not an expert in this field, but personally I would find it quite difficult to go into business with a complete stranger. The risk would just be way too high. It would need to be someone I know a bit, whether that be someone I've actually worked with or someone I know from an online community etc.

Even then, you hear frequently enough about GP practices where one doctor reached their fifties and decided to run off with all the partnership's money to go live in a sunny non-extradition country. Because those are structured as a partnership, it's basically impossible to prevent by requiring signing authority etc. And often those doctors knew each other thirty plus years.

So, you'd want to be very careful going into business with someone. They quite literally can ruin you.

Niall

• Advertisement
Advertisement