Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17, 145, 51x buses to UCD are they reliable?

Options
  • 28-07-2017 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I canget 17 from rialto terminus, 145 from heuston and 51x from kylemore.

Are these buses reliable to get to ucd at 9am?

Anyone anyexperience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Got the 17 once to Rialto from UCD. Took over an hour and it wasn't during rush hour. It's not considered reliable. . Not sure about the 51x, but the 145 is very good. I always got that and could take between 30 mins to 50 mins depending on traffic. It is one of the better routes and has a staff member keeping on top of things in the morning. Does get very busy with the trains, so make sure you're ready to pile on or get one a few mins earlier. Think its ever 7-10 mins in the AM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The 145 is your best as its highly frequent it can get busy but you'll definitely get a seat as Hueston is the first stop and in the evening you'll be going in the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic. 17 takes too long and 51x only runs once a day in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The 145 is your best as its highly frequent it can get busy but you'll definitely get a seat as Hueston is the first stop and in the evening you'll be going in the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic. 17 takes too long and 51x only runs once a day in the morning.

Would you know how long roughly it would take to expectto get from heuston to ucd if getting the 145 at 8.15am weekdays?

Maldesu - yeah I heard things about the 17 all right, sad because it drops me right into the campus close the school of ag and food sci. I dont know if the 145 goes into the campus at all.

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    Would you know how long roughly it would take to expectto get from heuston to ucd if getting the 145 at 8.15am weekdays?

Maldesu - yeah I heard things about the 17 all right, sad because it drops me right into the campus close the school of ag and food sci. I dont know if the 145 goes into the campus at all.

Anywhere between 30 mins and an hour I'd say. It really does depend on traffic with the Luas diversions which will be affecting you worse in the evening things can be very un-predictable. Other factors would be the amount of people getting on and off and the potential driver change at Donnybrook which can take a while.

17 is a disaster don't go near it.

145 has the quays and town to deal with but is very regular and has the bus lanes all the way in and out of town.

Difficult to guarantee it gets you there for 9am every morning given starting point X and time y, you're asking a lot there for rush hour Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Some days it'd only take 30 odd mins, others more. As others have said, it all depends on traffic in the city at the time and the occasional driver change in donnybrook can scupper your well laid plans. I think i usually aimed for the 8 bus just to give myself that bit of breathing room.

145 doesn't go into campus but its not very far away. Also, last I looked, the 17 stop is close to the Law School rather than Ag and Food. Would be very little difference between the two stops in terms of walking to the Ag building.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

The 17 is always on time.

A lot of the time it is good. The other times it simply vanishes. As the times it vanishes it clearly didn't exist in the first place, you can confidently say that it is 100% good when it is running. :rolleyes:

The 17 is always on time.

A lot of the time it is good. The other times it simply vanishes. As the times it vanishes it clearly didn't exist in the first place, you can confidently say that it is 100% good when it is running. :rolleyes:

Thats because RTPI is going by the timetable so the next scheduled departure is on it even if its not running. It should really notify you if the bus has been cancelled.

I don't use the number 17 personally but judging by the route it takes it often gets held up in traffic as there isin't bus lanes on its route. The 145 from Hueston would be far quicker I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

145 is grand, 17 is a disaster and not sure about the 51x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

The second time I tried to get the 17 into UCD from Terenure, it didnt show up and the next one came over an hour later, useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Interestingly the 17 is one of the route that has just been taken off Dublin bus and handed over to another operator. I wonder what impact that will have on the service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

If you're trying to get in for 9am, then the 51x probably would be ideal for you. The express buses only go a few times a day but they're very quick and reliable in my experience, and the 145 does sometimes go into the campus (seems to be earlier in the morning, perhaps to keep it from filling up with people going beyond UCD), but the 17 bus pretty much doesn't even exist. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there are also a number of expresso buses from Hueston to UCD in rush hour

66X 67X etc

Riskymove wrote: »
    there are also a number of expresso buses from Hueston to UCD in rush hour

66X 67X etc

They wouldn't of any huge advantage as most of the delays would be traffic rather than stopping related I would imagine. Now with the double bus lane on the quays it would be slash a bit of time of the journey.

Advertisement