Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro SIM for GPS device, but what plan?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I have bought a GPS animal tracking device which uses a micro sim card. I am bamboozled by the options.

The instructions are from Chinese translated to English so not very good. As far as I can understand the device will use the sim to communicate to an app on my phone by using data and text.

I had hoped to pop in a €20 Three pre pay card and that would do, until I read the ad properly and if I understand right I must then top up by €20 each month which makes this very expensive!

The catch is this device will be used in very rural locations in the west of Ireland.

I then came across Lycamobile, who seem to have much cheaper plans including the National S for €9/month, €11 cheaper/month than three, but I've no idea what their coverage is like?

A GPS device may be seen as a weird thing, but it's to track animals in remote locations. Therefore I need a cost effective and reliable coverage.

If I bought the Three sim, and don't top up, I presume I either get screwed on charges or lose service after one month?

All sims would likely be prepay.

Thanks for any help possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This for hunting dogs? I know they're very popular in Russia/Finland for tracking big game.

Is it a 2G only tracker(many are), if so that will have coverage implications. Lyca/Tesco/48/Id etc are all on the Three network but three's 2G comes from old 02 cells and is patchy. Vodafone/Eir may be better for 2G only.

Test it and see how much data is used, you may get away with buying 250MB bundles once a month for a fiver or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gpstracker

ED E wrote: »
    This for hunting dogs? I know they're very popular in Russia/Finland for tracking big game.

Is it a 2G only tracker(many are), if so that will have coverage implications. Lyca/Tesco/48/Id etc are all on the Three network but three's 2G comes from old 02 cells and is patchy. Vodafone/Eir may be better for 2G only.

Test it and see how much data is used, you may get away with buying 250MB bundles once a month for a fiver or so.

No, it's for cattle in remote locations, there are areas I wish to keep them away from and this device has a type of geo/virtual fence in that it sends an alert if the animal goes beyond a certain area. Yes, it mentions 2G GSM on the instructions. All the terminology is new to me.

This isn't going well. Got a Lycamobile sim with National S plan. Spent 4 hours solid over messenger today with a rep from the Chinese company that makes the tracker (fair play to him). It seems the apn data I got off Lycamobile is incorrect (according to the Chinese guy). Though we had the sms version (there is an app also) working in the end, but a field test failed to report any location.

Would anyone here have apn data for Lycamobile? (inc username and passwords if applicable).

Also for 48?

Found 48 to be very unhelpful, Lycamobile support in fairness tried but their tech side said they wouldn't help with non handset devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lyca:

Name : Lycamobile Ie
    APN : data.lycamobile.ie
    Proxy : Not Set
    Port : Not Set
    Username : lmie
    Password : plus
    Server : Not Set
    MMSC : Not Set
    MMS Proxy : Not Set
    MMS Port : Not Set
    MCC : (Keep default)
    MNC : (Keep default)
    Authentication Type : Not Set
    APN type : default
    APN protocol: Ipv4
    Enable/disable APN: APN Enabled
    Bearer: Unspecified
    MVNO type : None
    MVNO Value : Not set

48:

APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: *

To set up your internet and mms settings:

MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS port: 8080

ED E wrote: »
    Lyca:

Name : Lycamobile Ie
    APN : data.lycamobile.ie
    Proxy : Not Set
    Port : Not Set
    Username : lmie
    Password : plus
    Server : Not Set
    MMSC : Not Set
    MMS Proxy : Not Set
    MMS Port : Not Set
    MCC : (Keep default)
    MNC : (Keep default)
    Authentication Type : Not Set
    APN type : default
    APN protocol: Ipv4
    Enable/disable APN: APN Enabled
    Bearer: Unspecified
    MVNO type : None
    MVNO Value : Not set

48:

To set up your internet and mms settings:

MMSC:
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS port: 8080

Thanks, I found those alright. Funny thing is Lycamobile contradict their own info saying the username is LYCA and there's no password. Where as 48 just wouldn't tell me anything.

I'll keep fiddling with it. Got the sms location working on it, sends me to Google Maps and it's accurate. But the app which contains the virtual fencing isn't working, most of the reason I bought the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Meteor PAYG broadband SIM might be useful for this. You get 30GB that lasts for 180 days for €30.

Advertisement