Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation charge due to leaving country

Options
  • 27-07-2017 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I will be emigrating soon and I have to cancel my mobile phone and internet. It will cost me 200 euro to cancel both as my contract doesn't end until December!!

Is there any way to do it cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

just cancel the direct debits, and ... dont think they'll find you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

foxylaydee wrote: »
    I will be emigrating soon and I have to cancel my mobile phone and internet. It will cost me 200 euro to cancel both as my contract doesn't end until December!!

Hopefully this is a lesson learned. Never ever sign up for mobile contracts.

As for is there a way to do it cheaper? Apart from what mikeecho said, it's simple math.

It's 5 (or 4 depending on billing period) months till December. Does the total monthly payments exceed €200? Then pay the €200 cancellation fee. Otherwise pay the monthly payments and cancel in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

In Europe? Use your current contract in roaming and cancel when the fee will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

You are paying 200eur because your contract hasnt paid for the price of the phone you signed up to buy through a contract.

Dont know why people still dont get this. You arent just being charged 200eur for leaving. You sign up to pay 24 months then you should pay it.

I hate to see people recommending walking away. Like telling someone to just walk into the store and steal the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hopefully this is a lesson learned. Never ever sign up for mobile contracts.

Where is the 'lesson'?

The majority of people with an iPhone or a high end Samsung are paying for the handset over 24 or 36 months via a contract.

But I agree with the general tenor of your comment, I always buy my own (sim-free) phone and have never signed a contract but some people just like to have the latest model and are prepared to pay for it in instalments, even if it's a complete rip-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭foxylaydee

Thanks for the replies all.

I don't have a very expensive phone to be honest. The monthly payments at the time were a lot cheaper than previous contract.

Has anyone experience of cancelling the direct debit? Would I get fined?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Maybe I'm in the minority here for a young-ish person (under 30's) but I cannot for the life of me see the logic in spending such a high a price for iPhones and Samsungs at prices near to €1,000 a pop. I know obviously if you sign up to a 24 month contract you get the phone for less/free (handset dependent). The cheapest contracts are what, €30 a month? And then you get charged a fortune if you go outside your allowance.

All those high end of market phones, you're paying for the badge, it's like the networking equivalent of buying a Ferrari. At the end of the day an €800 phone will do the exact same thing as lower cost ones just as a Toyota will do the same as a Ferrari, minus a few "essential/must-have exclusives". Buy a low cost phone, and sign up for one of those 30 day rolling contracts. Long term you save a fortune. It's pure madness in my opinion.

And don't get me started on parents who sign up in these contracts for their kids to use just so they can get them the latest "in" phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

If you took a new phone from, be fair and pay for it.
    However, if the company is just gouging out profits and you bought your own phone, cancell the DD and say no-more.
    Did you take a free phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

jaxxx wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority here for a young-ish person (under 30's) but I cannot for the life of me see the logic in spending such a high a price for iPhones and Samsungs at prices near to €1,000 a pop. I know obviously if you sign up to a 24 month contract you get the phone for less/free (handset dependent). The cheapest contracts are what, €30 a month? And then you get charged a fortune if you go outside your allowance.

All those high end of market phones, you're paying for the badge, it's like the networking equivalent of buying a Ferrari. At the end of the day an €800 phone will do the exact same thing as lower cost ones just as a Toyota will do the same as a Ferrari, minus a few "essential/must-have exclusives". Buy a low cost phone, and sign up for one of those 30 day rolling contracts. Long term you save a fortune. It's pure madness in my opinion.

And don't get me started on parents who sign up in these contracts for their kids to use just so they can get them the latest "in" phone...
    So you are saying that a alcatel pixi will do the same as a say a iphone 6s, yes basically so but it's the speed and the way it does it that's why people pay for the high end phones.

Advertisement