Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concentration Times

Options
  • 27-07-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Currently working on an absolute mare of a task and finding it kinda hard to concentrate, so question, how long would everyone here concentrate on a task for? Do you find it better to take little breaks or perhaps take an hour or two away from it to think about the task and return to it with a fresher mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I've used 25 minutes on, 5-10 minutes off with success in the past - for large jobs that require prolonged mental efforts.

If i find myself 'stuck' on something for more than an hour or so, I'll try to put it aside and come back to it. Diminishing returns to plough on if it gets to that state. Of course, 15 minutes first thing in the morning will almost always solve it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

About 25 minutes is the most I can manage, sometimes a couple of hours can go past without me noticing. But usually I need to take breaks - my concentration is best between 3 and 6pm making the afternoon my most productive for coding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

25 minutes is the usual time slot when using the Pomodoro technique, I suspect that's no coincidence.

25m work
    5m break
    25m work
    5m break
    25m work
    5m break
    25m work
    30m break

I typically find I'm about twice as productive whenever I use the technique. I really should get into the habit of using it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Health and safety mandates that you get up from terminal for a quick walk every 60 minutes. So I'm basically forced to take fag breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Like Graham I was also going to recommend the pomodoro technique http://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-pomodoro-technique-1598992730

I also find listening to some bland background music helpful at drowning out distraction. Focus at will is a service I subscribed to in the past, but I don't anymore opting to pay the one off fee for one of their albums off Google play music.

www.focusatwill.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Depends on the task and my state of mind at the time. Some days I can't focus at all and other days the solution seems to just present itself without me thinking too hard. I also find it a lot easier to keep concentrating for longer if I use a pen and paper so I've started doing that more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I get deeply absorbed for hours at a time. [Usually jump (literally) if someone approaches my desk unexpectedly.] This is hyperfocus associated with autism though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Listen to music get in the zone. When I get tired I go take a break, as in leave the office walk around the block for 10 mins then come back to it. Sometimes I come back another day to it. Often doing some other mundane not work related task will give me an idea. Also like to use pen and paper to plan things. And also have bad days and good days. Not really a 9-5 kind of thinker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Problem is finding the time slice in question. In that meetings, ad hoc Q and A, fire fighting all seem to break up the working day that prevent such concentration. Doing such work in out of hours does rather negate the purpose of down time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends what works for you. Not everyone works the same way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement