Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS - Unclear if customs due, will I know before they arrive?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

I *may* have to pay customs on a package arriving from the States via UPS.

The price on the pack may not equal the actual price paid as I received a partial refund, so the customs amount may not be correct.

If I am due to pay customs will I be notified before they arrive, or do I just found out when they arrive?

What happens if the customs charge is incorrect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Presuming the sender provided your contact number their office will call you before it's released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I thought UPS just got on with the delivery and then sent the inflated customs bill later?

I say inflated as iirc they add another €14.50 on for processing the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They appear to bill in arrears in recent times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

UPS sometimes adds customs charges at the start or on delivery. They always do it from the States. They are by far the best service, but I would rather wait an extra week and get delivery with USPS and an post who on extremely rare occasions will charge any additional fees.

Sorry man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So if he arrives and no duty is charged, is it possible I may get charged customs later?

I can ask him anyway when he arrives although it probably says on the package.

I didn't have a choice about who was used to deliver the package. I would normally use An Post where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

mrcheez wrote:
    So if he arrives and no duty is charged, is it possible I may get charged customs later?

Very rarely. UPS have always informed me prior to or at the time of delivery if there are any charges.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

my3cents wrote: »
    I thought UPS just got on with the delivery and then sent the inflated customs bill later?

I say inflated as iirc they add another €14.50 on for processing the paperwork.

When you can find someone other than An Post who has the capability to do any online customs entry, has a huge amount of cash in their account to pay VAT/Duty on your behalf, and pays someone to do customs entries for less than €14.50, let us know. If An Post charged correctly for providing this service, they would charge more for custom's clearance and stop hiking the price of stamps out through the roof every 6 months.

whiterebel wrote: »
    When you can find someone other than An Post who has the capability to do any online customs entry, has a huge amount of cash in their account to pay VAT/Duty on your behalf, and pays someone to do customs entries for less than €14.50, let us know. If An Post charged correctly for providing this service, they would charge more for custom's clearance and stop hiking the price of stamps out through the roof every 6 months.

An Post is €7 for items up to €700 then 1% which is much fairer for most people buying low value items. If you want to buy something for a couple of grand then fine UPs is the better deal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post is €7 for items up to €700 then 1% which is much fairer for most people buying low value items. If you want to buy something for a couple of grand then fine UPs is the better deal.

An Post is now €10, the rate you quoted is 2015. UPS, DHL and FedEx all charge on a % as far as I know, their mimnimum means it's is usually around the €14.50 mark. It'll be interesting to see if AP start catching more people on the new US import service, as I'd say revenue will be keeping a close eye on it.

An Post have Revenue staff permanently attached to the DMC, Couriers only get spot visits. Not comparable.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    An Post have Revenue staff permanently attached to the DMC, Couriers only get spot visits. Not comparable.

What isn't comparable? They still have to do the same work, its just that An Post decide to do it at a loss. What has Revenue being in An Post have to do with anything?

What isn't comparable? They still have to do the same work, its just that An Post decide to do it at a loss. What has Revenue being in An Post have to do with anything?

Revenue do most of the work for AnPost. The couriers own staff do it. AnPost are only charging for handling the payment.

ED E wrote: »
    Revenue do most of the work for AnPost. The couriers own staff do it. AnPost are only charging for handling the payment.

I'll check it out, but i'd say you're seriously wide of the mark with that. In 35 years in and around the business, I have never heard of a customs officer doing customs clearance. In fact, the idea is ludicrous as it would leave them wide open to the possibilities/allegations of fraud.

So I paid customs on the delivery but it's the wrong amount (i.e. not 23% of the price + €10 service charge).

Who do I contact to get refunded the difference? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mrcheez wrote: »
    So I paid customs on the delivery but it's the wrong amount (i.e. not 23% of the price + €10 service charge).

Who do I contact to get refunded the difference? Cheers

Can you explain what was calculated?

Can you explain what was calculated?

Jumping in here but I think the problem is that the OP paid one price which is the price he has paid the VAT on but the OP received a partial refund on the original price before the item arrived so has in fact paid too much VAT.

Hope thats right mrcheez :)

Jumping in here but I think the problem is that the OP paid one price which is the price he has paid the VAT on but the OP received a partial refund on the original price before the item arrived so has in fact paid too much VAT.

Hope thats right mrcheez :)

Yip. The seller wasnt able to apply the discount on the original product order, but applied it after the order was complete by refunding my paypal account a partial amount.

Their shipping company seemingly ignored my note to put the "reduced" price on the shipping envelope so VAT was charged on the original price when it arrived here.

Who do i get in contact with to claim back the difference?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yip. The seller wasnt able to apply the discount on the original product order, but applied it after the order was complete by refunding my paypal account a partial amount.

Their shipping company seemingly ignored my note to put the "reduced" price on the shipping envelope so VAT was charged on the original price when it arrived here.

Who do i get in contact with to claim back the difference?

http://revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf

The shipping company wouldn't just put down the value you tell them, if that was the case every shipment sent in would be valued at about €2. They go by the invoice and customs declaration. If you have proof backing up the actual amount paid, you can contact revenue on the email address in the link.

Grand so the contact is dmc@revenue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Something similar happened to me, once I proved how much I actually paid for the goods (I gave them my bank statement) they refunded me the money.

• Advertisement

Galadriel wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me, once I proved how much I actually paid for the goods (I gave them my bank statement) they refunded me the money.

Cheque? Take long to get back?

Advertisement