Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 vs XBox One as media player

Options
  • 27-07-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

My old XBox 360 has a very noisy fan and I'm thinking of upgrading to a One. Most of my usage will probably be media streaming from my PC (Windows 7) - video and music. I generally just use System Video Player and System Music Player (yes, v. old school). Using Windows Media Centre would be nice (I stopped using it as I found over wifi it was slow/stuttered but have an Ethernet network now).

Does XBox One provide comparable media streaming out of the box? I've seen contradictory information out.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

I just use my PC if that's something to consider. Hook it straight up to the TV

The xbone s has got 4k streaming to consider.

One's media player will work with DLNA so for example if you have a plex server on the PC it'll pick that up cover art and all. Actually the plex client app is free on both 360 and One.

There are loads of options like if your TV is a smart one it may also pick up stuff from a PC sever or may have emby or plex apps on the app store.

Another option is Kodi you can get boxes fairly cheap, even without the dodgy add ons it's a beast of a media center, I run mine with a 2TB seagate drive and just transfer the stuff to it form PC over the network but you can also simply add a shared folder from PC to it's libraries and it will then also scrap the various online databases for art and info on episodes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

sierra117x wrote: »
    I just use my PC if that's something to consider. Hook it straight up to the TV

The xbone s has got 4k streaming to consider.

Can't, plus I want the option of something that works seperately to the PC and that is pick-up-and-play.

P.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think an android box or an amazon fireTV might suit your needs better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

One's media player will work with DLNA so for example if you have a plex server on the PC it'll pick that up cover art and all. Actually the plex client app is free on both 360 and One.

There are loads of options like if your TV is a smart one it may also pick up stuff from a PC sever or may have emby or plex apps on the app store.

Another option is Kodi you can get boxes fairly cheap, even without the dodgy add ons it's a beast of a media center, I run mine with a 2TB seagate drive and just transfer the stuff to it form PC over the network but you can also simply add a shared folder from PC to it's libraries and it will then also scrap the various online databases for art and info on episodes etc.
    Xbox One has a Plex app also.

• Advertisement

Xbox One has a Plex app also.

Think I mentioned that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Think I mentioned that :)
    D'oh ... you're right. I missed that mention while skimming the message on my phone. Sorry 'bout that.

In fairness, the One has come a hell of a long way since launch and is now a decent media player. In fact, there are plans afoot (no firm dates yet) that Kodi will be coming 'home' to Xbox as a Windows 10 universal app, after starting life on the Original Xbox.

D'oh ... you're right. I missed that mention while skimming the message on my phone. Sorry 'bout that.

In fairness, the One has come a hell of a long way since launch and is now a decent media player. In fact, there are plans afoot (no firm dates yet) that Kodi will be coming 'home' to Xbox as a Windows 10 universal app, after starting life on the Original Xbox.

I can't wait for the Phoenix has stopped working threads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

oceanclub wrote: »
    Using Windows Media Centre would be nice (I stopped using it as I found over wifi it was slow/stuttered but have an Ethernet network now).

pretty sure windows media centre isnt on the one

I use plex works great plus it keeps track of what you have and haven't watched

Advertisement