Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Transferring land, boundaries and valuation.

• 27-07-2017 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello,
    Hoping for some good advice. I am hoping to have a property and small adjoining garden transferred to myself by mother soon. It is attached to a larger piece of land so there will need to be a boundary defined. I have read I would be best advised to get a solicitor. My question is, who draws up and defines the land boundary, an architect? Who values the property for tax purposes? And how do I not get ripped off by a solicitor for the transfer? I have been through the ringer lately with cowboy builders and the like so I am really tired of being abused. Any help appreciated.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Bakedwhite wrote: »
    Hello,
    Hoping for some good advice. I am hoping to have a property and small adjoining garden transferred to myself by mother soon. It is attached to a larger piece of land so there will need to be a boundary defined. I have read I would be best advised to get a solicitor. My question is, who draws up and defines the land boundary, an architect? Who values the property for tax purposes? And how do I not get ripped off by a solicitor for the transfer? I have been through the ringer lately with cowboy builders and the like so I am really tired of being abused. Any help appreciated.
    TIA

I've just been through this exact process.

The boundary and sites will probably (possibly) need to be mapped digitally (digital topographical survey) and then transferred to a Land Registry compliant map by your architect.

You and your mother both need to have independent solicitors for the gift/transfer of the title. I'm sure you could get a recommendation? It's a fairly standard process afaik.

You'll need to have the site valued by an independent valuer. if you need a mortgage on the site, then your bank can recommend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bakedwhite

Thank you, can I ask roughly how much with all the component parts, did the process cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Make sure you sort out the right of way/ separate entrance etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Bakedwhite wrote: »
    Thank you, can I ask roughly how much with all the component parts, did the process cost?

Every project is different and will have different requirements so me telling you what I paid is pretty meaningless.

Though I can tell you a valuation is about 150, a survey around 600-800, solicitors fees around 1500-2k for standard transfer of deeds ... But you will also have arch fees, and various fees for maps, and PRAI charges for registering deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bakedwhite

Thanks you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I've just been through this exact process.

The boundary and sites will probably (possibly) need to be mapped digitally (digital topographical survey) and then transferred to a Land Registry compliant map by your architect.

You and your mother both need to have independent solicitors for the gift/transfer of the title. I'm sure you could get a recommendation? It's a fairly standard process afaik.

You'll need to have the site valued by an independent valuer. if you need a mortgage on the site, then your bank can recommend someone.

If OP and his mum are agreed on the terms of the transfer, why do they both need independent solicitors when one could handle it easily?

*lights blue touch paper and stands well back.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

exaisle wrote: »

You're still not back far enough.........

exaisle wrote: »
    If OP and his mum are agreed on the terms of the transfer, why do they both need independent solicitors when one could handle it easily?

It's up to you at the end of the day but it's a legal transaction so there should be somebody acting for both sides.

My situation is more complex than a 'normal' site transfer for various reasons, but if there is going to be a new property going up and shared access etc, I can't see how you'd get away without it.

As I said, I've already been though this and come out the other side, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than you might think.

Advertisement