Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Transferring land, boundaries and valuation.

  • 27-07-2017 9:33am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 30 Bakedwhite


    Hello,
    Hoping for some good advice. I am hoping to have a property and small adjoining garden transferred to myself by mother soon. It is attached to a larger piece of land so there will need to be a boundary defined. I have read I would be best advised to get a solicitor. My question is, who draws up and defines the land boundary, an architect? Who values the property for tax purposes? And how do I not get ripped off by a solicitor for the transfer? I have been through the ringer lately with cowboy builders and the like so I am really tired of being abused. Any help appreciated.
    TIA


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭ mrsWhippy


    Bakedwhite wrote: »
    Hello,
    Hoping for some good advice. I am hoping to have a property and small adjoining garden transferred to myself by mother soon. It is attached to a larger piece of land so there will need to be a boundary defined. I have read I would be best advised to get a solicitor. My question is, who draws up and defines the land boundary, an architect? Who values the property for tax purposes? And how do I not get ripped off by a solicitor for the transfer? I have been through the ringer lately with cowboy builders and the like so I am really tired of being abused. Any help appreciated.
    TIA

    I've just been through this exact process.

    The boundary and sites will probably (possibly) need to be mapped digitally (digital topographical survey) and then transferred to a Land Registry compliant map by your architect.

    You and your mother both need to have independent solicitors for the gift/transfer of the title. I'm sure you could get a recommendation? It's a fairly standard process afaik.

    You'll need to have the site valued by an independent valuer. if you need a mortgage on the site, then your bank can recommend someone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Bakedwhite


    Thank you, can I ask roughly how much with all the component parts, did the process cost?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    Make sure you sort out the right of way/ separate entrance etc


  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭ mrsWhippy


    Bakedwhite wrote: »
    Thank you, can I ask roughly how much with all the component parts, did the process cost?

    Every project is different and will have different requirements so me telling you what I paid is pretty meaningless.

    Though I can tell you a valuation is about 150, a survey around 600-800, solicitors fees around 1500-2k for standard transfer of deeds ... But you will also have arch fees, and various fees for maps, and PRAI charges for registering deeds.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Bakedwhite


    Thanks you


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭ exaisle


    mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I've just been through this exact process.

    The boundary and sites will probably (possibly) need to be mapped digitally (digital topographical survey) and then transferred to a Land Registry compliant map by your architect.

    You and your mother both need to have independent solicitors for the gift/transfer of the title. I'm sure you could get a recommendation? It's a fairly standard process afaik.

    You'll need to have the site valued by an independent valuer. if you need a mortgage on the site, then your bank can recommend someone.

    If OP and his mum are agreed on the terms of the transfer, why do they both need independent solicitors when one could handle it easily?

    *lights blue touch paper and stands well back.... ;-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,497 ✭✭✭✭ Poor Uncle Tom


    exaisle wrote: »

    *lights blue touch paper and stands well back.... ;-)

    You're still not back far enough.........


  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭ mrsWhippy


    exaisle wrote: »
    If OP and his mum are agreed on the terms of the transfer, why do they both need independent solicitors when one could handle it easily?

    *lights blue touch paper and stands well back.... ;-)

    It's up to you at the end of the day but it's a legal transaction so there should be somebody acting for both sides.

    My situation is more complex than a 'normal' site transfer for various reasons, but if there is going to be a new property going up and shared access etc, I can't see how you'd get away without it.

    As I said, I've already been though this and come out the other side, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than you might think.


Advertisement