Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Photography.

Options
  • 27-07-2017 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Good morning guys, hope all is well.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I need to get a laptop that i will use primarily for the editing of photos. Need to get a laptop for mobility however its size/weight isnt an issue. I ll be using software including Lighroom and Photoshop. While i know Apple and Apple products are said to be the industry leaders i dont have the kind of bread needed to purchase one also being perfectly honest im not at all used to using Apple products in general.

Id also need a laptop that would be able to play Football Manager to maximise my procrastination.

Price wise i was hoping to keep it under €1500.
    I was looking for laptop with a 15" screen, ssd, decent graphics card, I5/I7 processor.

I saw an ASUS K501UW-AB78 looked pretty decent but a lot of Irish retailers havent got it in stock.

Hopefully you folks can head me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

This looks very decent. Check reviews obviously. I just liked the look of this one.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-omen-15-ax208na-core-i7-7700hq-8gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-1jl21ea/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Xenoronin wrote: »
    This looks very decent. Check reviews obviously. I just liked the look of this one.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-omen-15-ax208na-core-i7-7700hq-8gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-1jl21ea/version.asp

Thats a great start! Some of the reviews online are a bit scathing about its display however and id need pretty good screen clarity. Defo a contender though and i like the price! Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is this hobby or work photography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

1500 seems overkill for a laptop to edit photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The only other option I can see that looks good is the Dell XPS 15 2017. Only issue I have seen with them is the weirdly placed webcam.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Is this hobby or work photography?

Its for work and general everyday use.

The only other option I can see that looks good is the Dell XPS 15 2017. Only issue I have seen with them is the weirdly placed webcam.

Wasnt this gens panel far far worse than last years?

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Its for work and general everyday use.

If you're involved in print/production media then there are very few laptops with panels that would be up to snuff. Unfortunately most options are Apple.

Spending €400 on a decent monitor for your desk and then just getting a typical workhorse laptop might be worth considering.

This looks perfect. Thanks a million. One question is it worth paying the extra bucks for the 512ssd and 16g memory?

ED E wrote: »
    If you're involved in print/production media then there are very few laptops with panels that would be up to snuff. Unfortunately most options are Apple.

Spending €400 on a decent monitor for your desk and then just getting a typical workhorse laptop might be worth considering.

Hmmm. Not that could be an option. Pretty set on the laptop idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a ThinkPad with an IPS screen & *NO* ULV (Intel ix-xxxxU) processor.

A W520/W530 with FHD (1920x1080) screen, i7-xxxxQM CPU, SSD+HDD goes for around €800 on eBay.
    T420/T430 also an option.

If you must buy new, the T470p is in-budget.

Advertisement