Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ireland L Driver in Australia

• 27-07-2017 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I got my learner driver licence in Ireland and I failed my first full drive test in Dundalk, Co, Louth on 1st of March, 2017. And I had applied the second full drive test in the same day. Unfortunately, I had been arranged the second test on the end of July. But I had to to leave Ireland to go to Australia in the early of July. So I cancelled the test.

I know Ireland is belonging to the list of Australian exemption from licence tests. I want to ask may I drive in Australia with my Ireland L Driver Licence? If I want to get Australia drive licence, must I have to prepare the drive test at the most beginning? Or I can transfer my Irish L Driver Licence to the same level of Australian? I have finished my drive coach courses in Ireland. I dont want to try it again. After all, these road rules are similar between the two countries. And the coach courses are too expensive in Australia.

Expecting your help!!

Sincerely,
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

I'm not sure of the rules in all states, but in general and definitely in Victoria; you cannot drive on a learner permit from another country.
    You will need to do the tests and pretty much start from new.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

Other states could be slightly different, so google the state you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Hey Frank, as far as I know. Regarding any learner permit, it is recognised only in the country of issue. No harm inquiring with state you are in just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You cannot drive on your learners licence in NSW. I looked this up about a year ago for a friend. You are able to apply for your "L" licence here but you'd have to keep a log book of hours driving with a lienced driver, doing a certain amount of hours in the rain, a certain amount of hours when its dark, a certain amount of hours when its raining etc... for several months before you could get your red P plates, which allows you to drive, with some restrictions on speeds you can go, amount of people in the car past a certain time of day/after dark etc.

If you don't have your licence before coming over, chances are you won't drive over here. Not having your licence can restrict you in terms of finding work requiring a licence, even farm work.

See if you can get a cancelation test before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Same for QLD, they only convert a full irish licence. You will not be able to drive on your learners and will have to go through the QLD system from scratch.

Advertisement