Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translating whats being said in this video from the army

Options
  • 26-07-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

ok i know this is a bit of an ask but could someone tell me what is being said in this video . it was released by the irish army yesterday and its about the Special forces wing , the Army rangers . my irish is nearly non existent but it sounds like a ranger creed . any help would be appreciated .thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

ok i know this is a bit of an ask but could someone tell me what is being said in this video . it was released by the irish army yesterday and its about the Special forces wing , the Army rangers . my irish is nearly non existent but it sounds like a ranger creed . any help would be appreciated .thanks

A thousand caveats: My Irish is middling at best, I find it incredibly tough to translate solely by ear, the voiceover was playing third fiddle to the music and the sound effects of the engines, guns etc. in the video so it's tough to make out what's being said, I can't always get to grips with accents etc.

But here's my attempt at what I picked up. It's desperate and has lots of gaps and probable mistakes, but it's marginally better than nothing.

I've tried to avoid guessing and just left lines blank instead, but one word I cant help but guess at is "comrades". In the video I can only hear "mo chomhre" despite hearing it dozens of times. This makes no sense as "mo chomhre" means "my conversations". "I'll never let my conversations down" would be a strange promise from a special forces oath. It could be a mangled "comhbhrhre" with is kinsmen, or something to do with "comhrac" which is encounter or combat, but I just don't hear it.

So here goes
    Is fianch m Mac le cumhall agus dearthar le Fionn Mac Cumhaill,
    Is duine de na Fianna m Ag tabhairt aitheantas do mo dhúchais, mo chomh(?) reatha, go dto bhfuil mo lhart.
    Glacaim go hiomle mo ?, mo dhualgais, agus mo ?

Is fianch m Is ceannaire m Le meas do ch.
    Ag glac focal uaim ionrac mar deacht dangain.
    Glacaim go h-ollmhnuair a bhfuil do comhartha (?), tiocfaidh mo reach(?) I gc.

Is fianch m Leanfaidh mo chuid misean gan (?)

Beidh neamh(?) i mbun comhraic
    Nigfidh m mo chomh(?)
    Beidh neamh (?) agus mg a chosaint
    Mar le che, is muide na Fianna
    Agus is Fianch m
    I am a Ranger
    Son of Cumhall and Brother of Fionn Mac Cumhaill
    I am one of Na Fianna
    Acknowledging my heritage and my current comrades, until my day is over
    I fully accept/obey my (?), my duties and my (?)

I am a Ranger
    I am a leader
    I will show respect to all.
    (Something about honest words and solemn promises)
    I fully accept that at your signal (?), I will always come prepared

I am a Ranger
    I will follow my part in the mission without (?)
    I will be (?) during combat*
    I will not let down my comrades
    I will be un(something) when I am protecting them
    Because together we are Na Fianna
    And I am a Ranger.

(I keep hearing neamhdhleathach, which is "unlawful"....or maybe neamhlaofa which is "unbiased", neither fits really)
    I'd love for someone with a far keener ear and fluency to transcribe it so I know what I got wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've no idea what's happening but every time I type it out as Gaeilge, it gets mangled into the gibberish above. Is there some bug in boards' code that has trouble with fadas? Every word with a fada in it gets scrambled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

brilliant thanks very much CrabRevolution :cool:

Advertisement