Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera lens for plane spotting canon

Options
  • 26-07-2017 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone uses or has any knowledge on whether the canon EF 70-200mm f4 L lens is any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

My concern there would be the maximum magnification of it. I'm using a 100-300mm Tamron lens, and even it can struggle a little at times. I think there was someone who posted photos up on boards of the Bray Airshow was using one with a max of 500mm.

If you can give an idea of what you will be up to, someone will give you a better answer. General work spotting at Dublin etc. shouldn't be a problem for it, but for extra distance I'd want more magnification than I need, just in case.

That said, it's a professional grade lens, so the quality with it is not going to be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭PoppedPopcorn

My concern there would be the maximum magnification of it. I'm using a 100-300mm Tamron lens, and even it can struggle a little at times. I think there was someone who posted photos up on boards of the Bray Airshow was using one with a max of 500mm.

If you can give an idea of what you will be up to, someone will give you a better answer. General work spotting at Dublin etc. shouldn't be a problem for it, but for extra distance I'd want more magnification than I need, just in case.

That said, it's a professional grade lens, so the quality with it is not going to be an issue.

I was wondering about getting the 300. Would just be for the airport to start off then once I star going to shows would probably up the lens. You'd recommend the 300 then?

Personally I'd go for a 300, but as I am not expert in these things, I'd look for advice as to whether you need an L series (with the associated cost) or a lower level lens. Hopefully someone here can answer that, or maybe the photography forum.

The only other thing I can add is to let us know what camera body it is going with.

For example I am using:
    EOS 350D body
    Stock 18-55mm lens
    Tamron 100-300mm lens

The only other thing I can add is to let us know what camera body it is going with.

For example I am using:
    EOS 350D body
    Stock 18-55mm lens
    Tamron 100-300mm lens

All I know is it's a 600D haha. Literally just starting out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All I know is it's a 600D haha. Literally just starting out !

A 200mm lens is a 200 on a 5D but 320mm on a 600D (crop sensor). As such you might get away with shorter glass but 200 is probably too low.

ED E wrote: »
    A 200mm lens is a 200 on a 5D but 320mm on a 600D (crop sensor). As such you might get away with shorter glass but 200 is probably too low.

Great thank you. I'll look into the 300!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I have previously used a Canon 600D with a 70-200 F4 L and it is more than adequate to use at airshows when you're starting off.

Get out and learn the techniques for shooting airshows and only then upgrade your equipment.

Enjoy your photography and don't get hung up on having the latest bit of kit, a good photographer will always be able to adapt to the challanges each shoot brings.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have previously used a Canon 600D with a 70-200 F4 L and it is more than adequate to use at airshows when you're starting off.

Get out and learn the techniques for shooting airshows and only then upgrade your equipment.

Enjoy your photography and don't get hung up on having the latest bit of kit, a good photographer will always be able to adapt to the challanges each shoot brings.

Thank you :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Great advice, DSLRs take a while to master, attend a few classes / go on one of the evening walks with fellow camera lovers. It's amazing what you can achieve from a reasonable priced lens and using the cameras various settings, it'll be better than the people who buy top priced gear and shoot on auto mode

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have a tamron 600 mm on my canon. Cost me 800 from eglobal 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rossb2009

I'd try the canon 55-250mm lens, I have one myself and its a lot of lens for not a whole lot of money and I find the quality to be fairly good! I also use a sigma 120-400mm but it was about 3-4 times the money.
    https://store.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-s-55-250mm/MTEwMjgwMw_A_A

rossb2009 wrote: »
    I'd try the canon 55-250mm lens, I have one myself and its a lot of lens for not a whole lot of money and I find the quality to be fairly good! I also use a sigma 120-400mm but it was about 3-4 times the money.
    https://store.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-s-55-250mm/MTEwMjgwMw_A_A

Thank you I'll look at that lens !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I have the 70-200 f2.8 while it's good at the airport for take off and landings , I would at times need to crop a bit...for air shows I would prefer something with a bit more reach ...while the lens above does deliver good quality pictures but that quickly becomes less good quality when you need to crop...
    My next lens I hope to get or similar is this one ...once I can save enough for it..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/100-400mm-ii.htm

Just to add this lens is also on the way and probably a lot cheaper with a huge range of focal length 18 all the way up to 400

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/23/tamron-unveils-worlds-first-18-400mm-lens/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You need very expensive lenses to get the very close-up pics with great clarity and wonderful colours.

Start off with a cheaper lens, get used to the intricacies of focus and depth of field when dealing with fast moving objects and play around with scale, like having people in the foreground. There will always be someone there with a better lens/camera than you so do something a little different.

With extreme magnification its actually very hard to track the planes anyway. Get some experience at the airport!

You need very expensive lenses to get the very close-up pics with great clarity and wonderful colours.

Start off with a cheaper lens, get used to the intricacies of focus and depth of field when dealing with fast moving objects and play around with scale, like having people in the foreground. There will always be someone there with a better lens/camera than you so do something a little different.

With extreme magnification its actually very hard to track the planes anyway. Get some experience at the airport!

Thank you! Might try the 200/300mm then. Will have a look at both and go from there

Bear in mind that a Canon L lens such as the 70-200 F4 L USM, will have some of the very best optical qualities available.
    Lens such as the Canon 75-300 USM while offering that bit more reach will have decent enough optics, however won't match the Canon L lens for optical quality, but are decent starter lens.

It all depends on what you willing to pay :)

I currently use a Canon 70D and a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. I find this set up very rewarding. However it took me almost 20 years to convince myself that my photographic skills were up to using this level of equipment.

Ended up with a 55-250 for starters ! Took some good shots ! Can't wait to get into it more and move up then lens lol

Ended up with a 55-250 for starters ! Took some good shots ! Can't wait to get into it more and move up then lens lol

Good choice and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I use this lens:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-is.htm

The reason I went for it instead of the 70-200 f/4 L was price (a little cheaper at the time), reach (300mm on a crop sensor is equivalent to 480mm on a full frame sensor or 35mm film) and based on reviews the performance was seen as just as good as the cheapest priced 70-200 L lens. It has image stabilisation which you don't get on the entry level L series 70-200.

It's not perfect - the build quality is good but noticeably 'cheaper' than the L series. And sometimes the auto focus isn't accurate and a bit slow (although that can also be down to camera settings).

It has been discontinued and replaced by this one:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-is-ii.htm

OP - I see you've got yourself a lens now anyway :)

• Advertisement

peter1892 wrote: »
    I use this lens:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-is.htm

The reason I went for it instead of the 70-200 f/4 L was price (a little cheaper at the time), reach (300mm on a crop sensor is equivalent to 480mm on a full frame sensor or 35mm film) and based on reviews the performance was seen as just as good as the cheapest priced 70-200 L lens. It has image stabilisation which you don't get on the entry level L series 70-200.

It's not perfect - the build quality is good but noticeably 'cheaper' than the L series. And sometimes the auto focus isn't accurate and a bit slow (although that can also be down to camera settings).

It has been discontinued and replaced by this one:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-is-ii.htm

OP - I see you've got yourself a lens now anyway :)

Have to say the New lens isn't bad at all! Quite impressed with the quality for what I'm after. However it does blur a bit at max zoom which is to be expected but for now - quite happy with the pic quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to say the New lens isn't bad at all! Quite impressed with the quality for what I'm after. However it does blur a bit at max zoom which is to be expected but for now - quite happy with the pic quality!

Blur at max zoom likely due to motion. You If you're reaching out that far you to either shoot really fast (1/800+) or use a really good tripod and a remote (not so good for moving subjects).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

The general rule of thumb is that your shutter speed should be "at least" equivalent or 1 over your focal length.. So if you are at 250mm focal length on a crop sensor camera that is actually 375mm so your shutter speed needs to be at least 1/400th of a second.. Then factor in you are trying to capture a fast moving object! It takes a bit of trial and error but as mentioned, the faster the shutter speed the better. Even if that means upping your ISO to allow for that.

Homer wrote: »
    The general rule of thumb is that your shutter speed should be "at least" equivalent or 1 over your focal length.. So if you are at 250mm focal length on a crop sensor camera that is actually 375mm so your shutter speed needs to be at least 1/400th of a second.. Then factor in you are trying to capture a fast moving object! It takes a bit of trial and error but as mentioned, the faster the shutter speed the better. Even if that means upping your ISO to allow for that.

Thanks ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Yep that's perfect advice about the shutter speed/focal length. Play around with the settings until you find out what works best for you. It's a versatile lens and a good camera body so get out and shoot as much as you can .

tried to upload a pic but it didn't work and don't know how to do it off Flickr !
    Will keep trying different settings to see what one works ! Thanks !

Advertisement