Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet 2 airline

Options
  • 26-07-2017 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi

Looking to fly to reus in Sept, prices from dub are through the roof at the moment. Just looking on Skyscanner and jet 2 airlines are literally a fraction of the price from belfast.. as in 84 euro one way for 4 passengers!

Googled the airline and a couple of news articles about dodgy landings etc came up.

I'm already a nervous flier but know the tabloids can stretch the truth in those kind of articles.

Anyone here in the know able to reassure me that they are a half decent airline?!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Never understood why anyone who is a nervous flyer would break away from what they know and trust.

Stick to what you know or suck it up, save the money and go.

Jet2 are no better or worse than any other short haul service across Europe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jet2 are the same as Ryanair and Easyjet, just different colours painted on the plane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

No, Jet2 have significantly older planes. From Belfast, you will be using the Boeing 737-300.

You would be fine on Jet2, they do run a smooth operation but please be aware of the age of the planes and the poor legroom (worse than Easyjet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Heck, some on here would be happy to pay extra to go on a 737-300 - just for the rarity value.:)

In any event, modern kit isnt immune from issues. Didnt Sunwing have one of their 737-800s reluctant to takeoff from BFS recently :p

No, Jet2 have significantly older planes. From Belfast, you will be using the Boeing 737-300.

You would be fine on Jet2, they do run a smooth operation but please be aware of the age of the planes and the poor legroom (worse than Easyjet).

Rubbish, the age of the planes will make sod all difference to your flight. How would you even know the age? Aircraft cabins get refurbished every few years, you'd never know the true age without knowledge of the industry and where to seek this info.
    Aircraft are built and designed to be in constant service for 20-30 years, and it's perfectly normal for them to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

I've flown on Jet2, you can tell it's an old plane by looking at the side panels and overhead controls.

Their Overhead Lockers are so old that there is a safety net to hold bags in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

1000 in the difference would definitely have me consider it anyway!! But yes I would be well out of my comfort zone breaking away from RYR or AL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Go for it, you might even enjoy it!

Jet2 has a huge operation in Leeds which suffers from terrible crosswinds, resulting in many articles on the daily mail, suitably dramatised. So I would not pay too much heed to that.

I've flown on Jet2, you can tell it's an old plane by looking at the side panels and overhead controls.

Their Overhead Lockers are so old that there is a safety net to hold bags in place.

You'd do well to get members of the general public to distinguish side panels and over head controls based on year of manufacture! Jet2 seem to have totally fresh and new interiors on their aircraft and you'd never tell it's age, their may be exceptions. The safety nets were fitted as part of a refit and chosen by Jet2, I believe this was due to them doing mainly holiday flights and many of their passengers carrying bottles of duty free alcohol, which if knocked or falls from a locker caused serious injury/risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

Worth noting too that they're currently updating their fleet with 30+ new 738s if that helps put you at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hi OP, recently In the same situation as you. Flights to the canaries with Ryanair and aer lingus where too expensive from Dublin so got a 20 euro flight to Birmingham and flew the rest of the way with Jet2. All in all a very nice airline. Customer service wise top of pile. Service with a smile and the aircraft was a 737_800 so very modern and sleek. I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Flown them a couple of times, once from Manchester to Budapest and once from Newcastle to Murcia. Absolutely no issues - found them to be no better or worse than Ryanair/EasyJet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eddie Air

Flew with Jet2.com today from Reus to Stansted with my family, new 738 G-JZHU operated, very impressed with machine & customer / flight service. Presume it's the Boeing "Sky interior"; made our STN - DUB Ryanair 738 interior seem very dated..! Prices for 6 seats were excellent when booked last Jan, I'd have no issues flying with them again. (& I don't work for them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Thanks all for replies. So I went for it, belfast to reus , plus seats and suitcase 130 one way! Mad money for the return so might try hold out for Barcelona to dub flights to reduce a bit!

Just needed a bit of reassurance.. and hopefully the overhead nets will hold the few bottles I'll be bringing back for over Xmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4742804/amp/Jet2-plane-forced-make-two-emergency-landings.html

Link to somewhat sensationalist Daily Mail article about Jet2 emergency landings.

For the precise details of the incidents, the following links give the details.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ac3a043&opt=0

http://avherald.com/h?article=4abb6ac0&opt=0

jc11 wrote: »

If you're a nervous flyer then LAST thing you should be reading is the Daily Fail. 
    Seriously incidents like this happen all the time and as pointed out above the AV herald is a excellent, factual, and reliable source for all aviation incidents. A quick browse of their website will show you how routine and common occurrence such incidents are.

Advertisement