Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snowy getaway in Dec/Jan - where?

• 26-07-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

We're looking to plan a family holiday with our 3 children (ages ranging 3-7) for late December/early January for a few days.

We normally do sun holidays so I'm like a fish out of water trying to organise this! No idea where to go really. We're looking for the ideal winter break with plenty of snow; no interest really in skiing. Relatively close to the airport would be great but don't mind a bit of travel. Log cabin would also be great but don't want to break the bank!

Any tips, advice or help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If skiing isn't your thing and you want somewhere cold for other reasons (snowmobiles, horse riding, huskies etc) id recommend the north of Sweden or Norway: I went to ICEHOTEL in seeing Lapland this year and loved the entire trip.

The ice suites in ICEHOTEL itself are expensive and definitely a once in a lifetime thing but the warm rooms are cheaper and there's several other hotels in nearby Kiruna and many nearby activities - i saw plenty of families too.

It is however *extremely* cold, which may not be what you're after (lowest was -32ish on my trip, average about -15) but was absolutely one of the best trips I've ever taken.

If that far north is too cold and/or dark there's likely other places further south with the same set of activities but warmer (for comparison, Stockholm was -5 or so the same week)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭k123456

Quite a few ski Resorts are set up for non skiers, hiking/trekking mainly on prepared hiking paths (snow is compacted by machine, so one can walk on it) Les Saises is one example. Nearest airport would be Geneva.  Hikers can use some ski lifts 
    In general, there are lots of Alpine airports to choose from .  Bergamo is one I use  a lot, twice daily inexpensive flights
    If you are hiring a car, to reach the snow, if there is snowfall enroute, you will need to fit chains

Mid term , Easter and Paddy week here usually more expensive
    Jan, usually a lot of bargains around

last couple of years Dec and Early jan, wasn't a  lot of snow in the Alps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

If it's your first ski holiday with a young family use a tour operator as they will ave you a lot of hassle.
    Crystal Ski have a few different options for family skiing.
    Also the smaller resorts will be perfect, cheaper and more than enough skiing for your needs if you are going to ski.
    I'd still go to a high altitude resort at that time of year though.

Advertisement