Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town Camping for the Fleadh

Options
  • 26-07-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭

Hi All, myself and my gang will be down larging it up for the Fleadh, I see the official camp sites are out in Clarecastle G.A.A. That is a bit of a mission out of town. Anyone recommend any handy green spaces around the town. We don't care about facilities or security.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

There was camping in the show grounds last year .
    7 or 8 minute walk into town .
    Bar on site ,toilet facility's.
    It was fairly full by the weekend though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I heard that the Clarecastle site is the only campsite this year - it was secondhand info, so can't swear to it being true. However, the Clarecastle site was served by shuttle buses last year, so getting in & out of town shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

thanks for the reply folks, but I am not going out to Clarecastle any handy green spaces or fields near the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You should find a corner in the Fairgreen. It was the main campsite years ago. It's called Tim Smythe Park now.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/search/fairgreen+ennis/@52.850342,-8.981249,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

finbarrk wrote: »
    You should find a corner in the Fairgreen. It was the main campsite years ago. It's called Tim Smythe Park now.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/search/fairgreen+ennis/@52.850342,-8.981249,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

thanks for that, looks good, do you think you would be able to part a couple of cars anywhere near that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Depends on when you arrive I'd say. Definitely would be full all around there during the day and evenings. Maybe you could get a spot in the housing estate called The Green just across from the park. If you could arrive early in the morning you would avoid traffic restrictions also.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Depends on when you arrive I'd say. Definitely would be full all around there during the day and evenings. Maybe you could get a spot in the housing estate called The Green just across from the park. If you could arrive early in the morning you would avoid traffic restrictions also.

Thanks very much. Can't wait, had some great craic at the Fleadh last year ! Hope we get the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭georgem25

There was camping at Roslevan last year (not sure about this year). Easy walk in and the complementary bus also stopped there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CeannLeime

Avenue Utd will have camping this year once again. You can book through avenueunited.ie
    Location is Tulla Road Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clarecastle gaa isn't actually that far from town. It's about the same distance walk as Rosleavan (Avenue) is from the town

Last year the Ennis Rugby Club had camping, not sure about this year, but if it was me, I'd camp there. It's practically in the town centre, just off the bypass and should be good craic at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

There's 5 official camp sites.

Avenue/Roslevan - 2.7km from O'Connell Street

Clarecastle GAA - 3.2km from O'Connell Street

Eire Og GAA - 1.7km from O'Connell Street

Ennis RFC - 1.3km from O'Connell Street - Campervan Only

St. Flannans - 850m from O'Connell Street - Boutique Camping Only

http://www.fleadhcheoil.ie/component/content/article/91-press2/141-fleadh-weekly-update-no-12-clare-champion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's 5 official camp sites.

Avenue/Roslevan - 2.7km from O'Connell Street

Clarecastle GAA - 3.2km from O'Connell Street

Eire Og GAA - 1.7km from O'Connell Street

Ennis RFC - 1.3km from O'Connell Street - Campervan Only

St. Flannans - 850m from O'Connell Street - Boutique Camping Only

http://www.fleadhcheoil.ie/component/content/article/91-press2/141-fleadh-weekly-update-no-12-clare-champion

How do they make out that Eire Og is twice as far from O'Connell Street than Flannan's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Clareman wrote: »
    How do they make out that Eire Og is twice as far from O'Connell Street than Flannan's?

I used Google Maps to get the walking distances.

The St. Flannans distance is based on accessing from the Clare road, Eire Og is based on accessing from Clonroad.

I know it's basically the same place but I don't know if you can access both sites from Flannans, so I based the Eire Og distance on having to walk in the front gate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I used Google Maps to get the walking distances.

The St. Flannans distance is based on accessing from the Clare road, Eire Og is based on accessing from Clonroad.

I know it's basically the same place but I don't know if you can access both sites from Flannans, so I based the Eire Og distance on having to walk in the front gate.

It'd probably be quicker to walk through the fields of Flannan's from Eire Og to get up town, or hop the wall by the Turnpike.

Having an onsite bar in Eire Og makes it a better option as well, and I reckon you'd pass 2 other bars to get to town (Gleeson's and Almers) from there but the walk from Flannan's would be a dry one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Clareman wrote: »
    It'd probably be quicker to walk through the fields of Flannan's from Eire Og to get up town, or hop the wall by the Turnpike.

Having an onsite bar in Eire Og makes it a better option as well, and I reckon you'd pass 2 other bars to get to town (Gleeson's and Almers) from there but the walk from Flannan's would be a dry one :pac:

You could die of thirst on that barren trek :)

Auldloon wrote: »
    You could die of thirst on that barren trek :)

Be safe out there folks

castlemaine-xxx-beer-ads-skeleton-reaching-for-beer-in-the-desert.jpg

Hi All, scratch the camping, I now have access to a camper van, Is Clarecastle the only place to berth up with power ?

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All, scratch the camping, I now have access to a camper van, Is Clarecastle the only place to berth up with power ?

Eire Og and the Rugby Club are doing it as well I think, but that's not until closer to the weekend.

Advertisement