Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1912 newspaper death notice - usage of "do"

Options
  • 25-07-2017 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I found a death notice with a large cast of names, hurrah.
    Can anyone advise - when a name is followed by ", do" - is that "ditto"? At first I thought it was "daughter" but that doesn't make sense.
    Here is a sample line:

Annie Gorman, Drumbo; Maggie Gorman, do; Katie Olvanny, Billis; Rose Olvanny, do; (nieces)

The thing that puzzles me is that for the earlier mourners (brothers and sisters) their location is repeated in full, no use of this "do". It's only when it gets to the nephews and nieces that I see it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would read it as Maggie is from Drumbo and Rose is from Billis.

There may have been a charge per word of more than a certain amount of letters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I'd say it's ditto and that Spurious is right about the per word charge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

That makes perfect sense, thanks to you both.

Advertisement