Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newer car - insurance through the roof!

Options
  • 25-07-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Currently insured by AA (€1,100) on an 06' Peugeot 206, 1.4 petrol. (2016 was €750)

Thinking of changing to a 2015/2014 Citreon DS3 or C4, 1.6 Diesel.

Getting crazy quotes from €955 (boxymo) to over €7k (liberty). Most seem to be around the €2k mark?

I thought a newer car would bring down my insurance? Any tips?

---

background details:
    Female, 26
    Driving 9 years+
    Nearly 3 years NCB (6 named driver experience)
    3 penalty points (June 2016)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The details there dont seem like serious causes for concern. As an experiment, try a different location to see if that is your problem.

Putting limerick as your location can add a few grand to a quote.

Boards won't allow me to say which insurer...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AmyM91

Thanks I'll try that.

I was also thinking maybe job title might be something to look at. Currently it is down as Graphic Designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What have the AA said it would cost to change?

Other than that there's no other option but to wade through all the companies and brokers. I was looking for insurance for my mother recently, a lot older than the OP but with full NCD and no points, and some of her quotes where as high.

Rang them, my renewal isn't until oct and it will 45/75 extra from now til then. They wouldn't give me a quote for the year over the phone. But got it through brokers €1700+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just have to try everywhere for a quote. AA were expensive this year for me so I went with Aviva directly. AA are just a broker and my insurance last year was with them but was underwritten by Aviva. I've also found FBD amd 123.ie good some years. I switch every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Looks like they'll use any excuse to push up insurance.

Yeah I am ringing around. Will be happy if it I get it for the same.

It is just crazy the vast difference in the range of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

AmyM91 wrote:
    Yeah I am ringing around. Will be happy if it I get it for the same.

And get your new quotes in writing, I am driving over 40 years and I will phone about 4 insurances company's about 5 weeks before my renewal date every year and would advise anybody else do do the same and some quotes are mad money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you have a partner add him as a named driver.

If not and living at home, add a parent as a named driver.

On AIG this can take up to 25% off the cost.

AIG also have their XLNT policy - you simply download an app that monitors your driving (they don't do anything to you unless it show real crazy driving) https://www.aig.ie/personal/car-insurance/xlntdriver-car-insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

AmyM91 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll try that.

I was also thinking maybe job title might be something to look at. Currently it is down as Graphic Designer.

If you did have an accident and supplied the insurance company with false details (job title etc) then your policy will become void and they will not pay out.

• Advertisement

@CeilingFly
    Yeah I normally but my Dad on my policy (30 years driving). It actually put up a quote last year when I was looking.
    But will try all avenues to see what comes out the best value.

@peege Would never give false info. Just know that rewording of a title can make a difference for people. Don't think mine would though.

peege wrote: »
    If you did have an accident and supplied the insurance company with false details (job title etc) then your policy will become void and they will not pay out.

Not true.

Not a smart idea to supply false info, but what you have said is not true.

I'm sure one of the forum's industry employees can set this one straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

peege wrote: »

The insurer would have the option to void the policy but any 3rd party would be compensated by your actions. Insurers have the right to recover this amount from you personally and refuse indemnity for repairs to your own vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The insurer would have the option to void the policy but any 3rd party would be compensated by your actions. Insurers have the right to recover this amount from you personally and refuse indemnity for repairs to your own vehicle

How come? If the policy is void, it is equal to it never existing. A void contract is not enforceable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

grogi wrote: »
    How come? If the policy is void, it is equal to it never existing. A void contract is not enforceable....

The RTA provides guarantees that an innocent third party will always be compensated in the event of a loss, could be through the MIBI for an uninsured / unidentified driver, could be the insurer that is deemed "insurer concerned" even if they have voided or force cancelled a policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

grogi wrote:

I never said it was void, it is 'voidable' by the insurer if he so desires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

And get your new quotes in writing, I am driving over 40 years and I will phone about 4 insurances company's about 5 weeks before my renewal date every year and would advise anybody else do do the same and some quotes are mad money.
    Why do you ring 5 weeks before

Aren't the quotes only valid for 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Aren't the quotes only valid for 30 days

Some are down to 7 days now! Good job it's compulsory or else they'd be screwing us.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Good job it's compulsory or else they'd be screwing us.

Ba dum tssss!

Advertisement