Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel reservation online vs by phone

Options
  • 25-07-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit puzzled by something....

I was looking to book a hotel room but I had a query in relation to a offer on their website. So I rang up the reservations team and the lady very helpfully clarified all the details of the offer for me. She asked me if I'd like to reserve the deal and I said I would. I gave her the dates in question and she replied the unfortunately they were fully booked and would I like a different date. It was the only date suitable for us so I declined and thanked her profusely.

I was a little annoyed with myself as I had been looking at the deal earlier that morning and there had been availability then. Out of curiosity I went back onto their website and lo and behold I was able to reserve the offer for the dates I wanted.

But here's where my issue is: Why did the hotel reservations department tell me there were no availabilities for that date when 10 minutes after the phone call I was able to reserve online on their website?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I had a similar situation last year, when we got to the hotel they told us that the room we booked had been over sold so we were upgraded to a suite instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

As above - if they outsource their web bookings, then blocks are "reserved".

If you get the right person in the hotel they can see this.

It works the other way too - the website may show a date as sold out, but some rooms may still be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

CeilingFly wrote: »
    As above - if they outsource their web bookings, then blocks are "reserved".

If you get the right person in the hotel they can see this.

It works the other way too - the website may show a date as sold out, but some rooms may still be available.
    Yeah I figured if I was booking on one of those hotel search engines that there are probably a certain number of rooms available to them at a certain price. But this was on the hotel's own website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Yeah I figured if I was booking on one of those hotel search engines that there are probably a certain number of rooms available to them at a certain price. But this was on the hotel's own website.

you'll find most hotel "own" websites are outsourced too. Avvio & Bookassist are the main ones hotels here and UK use.

Busy hotels will update them constantly, but smaller hotels may only do it every couple of days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's probably the case that the booking system is outsourced, but it's also possibly somebody happened to cancel in the interim

Advertisement