If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Looking for recommendation for civil / structural engineer

  • 25-07-2017 1:57pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭

    I am looking to get a recommendation for an engineer for a new build house in Dublin. Can anyone have any recommendations?


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    Mod Note: Recommendations by PM only. Thanks.

  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Aid62

    Get an Atchitect first. Seriously .
    The building design comes first then the structure.
    Look up RIAI website

  • Registered Users Posts: 6 edding4321

    planning is approved so design is there already - you think I still need an architect?.

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

    You can retain any Private Practice with one of the following Profesdionals:-

    1. Chartered Building Surveyor. Look up the website of the Society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland.(SCSI)
    2. Registered Building Surveyor. Look up SCSI.
    3. Chartered Building Engineer. Look up -
    4. Chartered Civil Engineer. Look up Engineers Ireland.
    5. Architect.

    As you will be spending a substantial amount of money, get a copy of their Professional Indemnity Insurance, which should be approx €40,000 more than the cost of your proposed house.

    Visit at least 2 houses where they acted as the Constructional Professional of the build and provided Certification. Inspect the house and chat to the home owners.

    It would also be advantageous to get a Bill of Quantities from a Chartered Quantity Surveyor before commencing. Look up SCSI.

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    OP will probably still need a structural engineer. 😉

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 44,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭muffler

    But, but said engineer will have to retain CHARTERED status according to some people!

  • Registered Users Posts: 6 edding4321

    Thanks guys - any recommendations for a structural engineer?.

  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

    Same, any recommendations for Dublin (North county)