Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading from 16gb to 32gb

Options
  • 25-07-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

I have 2 x 8GB of g-skill ARES ddr3-1866mhz installed on my sabertooth motherboard.It's a 4 year old pc.
    I am looking to upgrade the memory by an additional 16gb as I have 2 extra slots on the motherboard that will accomadate this.
    is it best practice to use the same memory type/brand or can I use any memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Fine to use similar memory. Should be in matched pairs, but that doesn't mean all 4 must be same. Pay attention to colour coding on the slots, that shows which pairs to match.

What's this for? Strange to see so much memory in old system, is it a database server or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's a huge amount of RAM. Is the rest of the pc as highly specced? It might not be the RAM which needs upgrading if you're looking for faster performance.

Or I could be totally wrong in what you're looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

My 5 year old PC has 16gb DDR 1333Mhz ram. (in 4 x 4gb sticks)

Yeah my old machine also had 16, and it never got fully used. New machine will also have 16gb - first time I build new machine without more memory than old.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wheety wrote: »
    That's a huge amount of RAM.

Depends on the workflow, its rather meagre for some imaging and CAD.

• Advertisement

Sure, but there is so much bad advice and terminology around. Running low on disk space -> get told by some random to upgrade memory. Usually people that actually make use of 16gb ram don't need tech support :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

srsly78 wrote: »
    Sure, but there is so much bad advice and terminology around. Running low on disk space -> get told by some random to upgrade memory. Usually people that actually make use of 16gb ram don't need tech support :P

It doesn't have to be anything that complicated, I've hit 16gb limit just processing LIDAR data in GIS, if the data file is big enough. I would imagine large access databases etc would be similar. It doesn't require esoteric tasks/programs to hit 16GB ram usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

besides overkill, the only other reason I got 16gb was that in 2012 RAM prices were very low - got each 8gb set in Germany for about 37/38 euro. A year or two later RAM prices skyrocketed if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nothing beats loading times when the game starts to get cached properly in RAM.

But seriously, I bounce off my 64gigs often and I am considering 128 with a Threadripper.

Advertisement