Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Become a Counsellor?

Options
  • 25-07-2017 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am interested in becoming a counsellor within juvenile detention centres within the United States, however, I live in Ireland and wish to complete the necessary qualifications within Ireland, for costs' sake. I am curious to know which college/university have the courses necessary for me to achieve my dream. I would be a mature student(aged 27) and already have an AA in child development/family studies that I have acquired in the States in 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

First thing I will say is start volunteering now. They likes of childline and bernardos would be perfect for this. Volunteering will be what will get you your courses or jobs, so start clocking up your hours as soon as you can.

Secondly It depends on what kind of counsellor you want to be? If you want to be a medical professional that would require different type of training. Counselling is also a poorly regulated industry so many people just call themselves a counsellor and worse "treat" and take money from venerable people.

Otherwise I would recommend doing the level 7 certificate in Counselling Skills with Maynooth university. However it is not a professional course. They are however very supportive of mature students and getting people's foot in the door. The course is in the evening, 100 hours and only for mature students.

Counselling, Psychotherapy and Psychology courses are notoriously very competitive for mature students to get into. Some require entrance exams, large amounts of volunteering etc. It also seems to be getting harder to get into third level without having done some previous education (like an non accredited evening class, or below level 8) or a university access course like TAP, but I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong you can still get into courses without qualifications and experience.

I'm sure it's similar in America, I've no idea, but if you want to practise as an accredited, registered counselling professional in Ireland you have to register with the APCP - Association of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapist’s. They have a list of approved degrees and masters degrees on their website.

Advertisement