Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training - alternatives until blisters heal

Options
  • 24-07-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi, I am half way through a 22 week training plan for my first marathon in October. I am up to 26k on my long runs and have some really bad blisters between my big toe and next toe on both feet. They won't heal because I keep running on them and are quite sore. Any advise on what training that isn't running I could do to replicate either my weekly shortly runs and my longer ones at the weekend? I know I can probably do sessions on the bike/spin bike/pool (swimming or running) but i am looking for specific sessions to do. Thanks, all help appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,043 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Biking and swimming are excellent alternatives whilst out injured....

Plenty strength exercises and circuit type training to keep the whole body strong....press ups, planks, squats, burpees etc....

Oh, and plenty of stretching and flexibility based exercise is vital.

Failing this, rest is key....blisters may take couple weeks to heal. Use the time to recharge and wind down and conserve energy...It's no time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

Thanks, I'm just worried about missing the long runs at the weekend as i was told that they were really important. ANy suggestions to try to cover them?

brownetara wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm just worried about missing the long runs at the weekend as i was told that they were really important. ANy suggestions to try to cover them?

Bike?:P

I am being serious......best way to keep the legs moving and the leg strength up.

The long runs build up the cardio and the engine...

Swimming would be excellent for the cardio system, or boxing bag work if you can come by it. Excellent cardio workout.

Thanks, will give it a go!

Thanks, will give it a go!

Also the rowing machine could be utilized...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

There are cycling, rowing and swimming sessions specific for runners in this book:

http://down.ebook777.com/036/9781609618025.pdf

book page 105 (or page 122 of the reader)

Brilliant, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Brilliant, thanks!

No bother, one of my favourites on the bike is: :(

5 min easy
    1 min hard, 1 min easy
    2 min hard, 1 min easy
    3 min hard, 1 min easy
    4 min hard, 1 min easy
    3 min hard, 1 min easy