Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

May I have a commercial van for a private use?

Options
  • 24-07-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello,

I would like to buy a new van instead to use my car anymore. The reason is that I have 2 dogs and it is more practical to use a van for take them everywhere.

So I was wondering if i can buy a van and not use it as commercial one, just for private use and of course if it is possible to have an insurance and can be taxed.

Thanks !!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's a guy nearby my folks that does this. Not sure on the particulars around it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If your van is for private use then it's a private van. What is the question here exactly? You can't claim company expenses for private stuff, it counts as benefit-in-kind.

So yeah sure you can do this, but might get audited and penalised in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

If you're gonna be taxing the van privately just remember the price will be determined by engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

That's what I do. I tax it privately which is expensive but not crazy. I stayed with the insurance company I had before I got the van.
    I bloody LOVE being a van lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lydialaois

Thanks guys you are awsome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

You might have trouble insuring it now. Most insurers require a commercial reason to insure a van. Before you do anything ring a few companies to make sure you can actually insure it

Advertisement