Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avg waiting tome for liver / pancreatic cancer diagnosis

Options
  • 24-07-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all

as the title suggests, can anyone say how long (after tests / endoscopy/scans ) they had to wait for a diagnosis?

My 73 year old mother has been waiting the best part of a month now! There are two hospitals involved and calling them just adds to confusion - everything seems to rest on consultant reviews / consultant reports / consultant availability/ consultant sign-off. The one time we got to see a consultant he could only tell us there was a growth which didn't look good - we had to pay 100 euros for that even with VHI - and that was nearly 3 weeks ago. Latest info is there is a letter coming from a Dublin hospital to our own hospital but that then has to be sent to my mothers GP. No one can tell us anything on the phone because they are secretaries and either don't know or at not allowed disclose.

The woman is at the end of her tether - she still has pain, she can't eat or sleep with the stress of not knowing what is wrong.

Is this normal waiting time? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muminpajamas

Just saw your post now after going to long term illness forum. I see your Mum is at the start of her cancer journey. I'm really sorry to hear that she is so stressed. I can only commiserate as I have found that it is wait, wait, wait when dealing with our healthcare service, and you are kept in the dark a lot of the time with poor communication. I was diagnosed with terminal cancer a year ago. It is hard enough to deal with the cancer but the waiting makes it twice as bad. I hope things have improved for you and your mum and you are able to enjoy life.

Advertisement