Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights - Hearing Aids

Options
  • 24-07-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone "in the know" might be able to advise.

My dad is 73 and for as long as I can recall he's been a bit deaf. However in the last 10 years it's become quite severe, he's used hearing aids for a long time but around 2 years ago when things got more severe he ramped it up a gear.

Both my folks are retired with limited income and savings which need to last a very long time, as my dad gets a small pension he's not entitled to the grant.

So, he spent almost 3k on what he was told were the aids he needed. This was with a private local audiologist. They have never worked but due to the high cost he's hung on in there - revisiting the shop constantly, I mean, sometimes twice a week in the hope that they might be able to provide him with some relief. They have been helpful, but have so far not been able to provide him with a long term solution. He does get a day here and there where they work but then they go again and he's back with them. They also gave him some replacements while they sent his away which seemed to work better so it's not him that is the problem.

If he wanted to buy the replacement aids he'd need to spend more money with them which he's reluctant to do given the excessive investment to date and lack of return on that.

So, he's found another provider who are offering an alternative with a money back guarantee and he wants to try this. We all want him to try this but I can't help but feel he really should be entitled to some form of reimbursement from the current provider who has failed to offer him any kind of solution. Any thoughts?

This is an emotive issue, my folks are both retired and healthy and up until all this started enjoyed going out to dinner and to shows - things they can't enjoy anymore or we can no longer do as a family to any great extent. My dad, whose a really social person is becoming disconnected and isolated, it's horrible to watch and it's totally down to these aids not working and him perservering not wanting to lose the few grand he's spent on them for nothing.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

<SNIP>

Does your father have a medical card?

He would be entitled to free hearing aids with this.

As for recourse against the original aids, its a tough one because hearing aids dont fix your hearing they only aid it. There is no real guarantee it can even improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is a strange old business alright. You are basically buying high-end hi-fi equipment. There is a difference between the different price points, but it is subtle, not immediately evident. And it is all subjective.

When you say they 'go again' what do you mean? Do they stop working altogether? Or does the quality of his hearing just degrade?

Do these units come from a well known brand (like widex or phonak)? If so, and you are not getting satisfaction from the shop you bought it from, it might be worth contacting the manufacturer. These companies seem to take their business pretty seriously and these aids really should work.

It is not really true that a low-end unit is more likely to work than a high-end unit. Certainly, it is not worth buying the most expensive units for a person who is not fairly active.

I do worry that sometimes audiologists supply middle grade hearing aids for a high-end price. It is worth trying to understand where the unit you got fits in the manufacturer's range.

As stated, he should be able to get a grant if he has paid full PRSI. This is a paid-for entitlement and having a pension or not having a medical card does not impact on this. However if he has paid partial PRSI (for example if he worked for a local authority or public service) he might not be entitled.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Treatment-Benefit1.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If they don't work then ask them to replace them.

If I spend 3k on a pair of speakers that don't work then I damn sure will be looking for replacements or my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pelvis wrote: »
    If they don't work then ask them to replace them.

If I spend 3k on a pair of speakers that don't work then I damn sure will be looking for replacements or my money back.

But it's not so she simple with hearing aids a lot depends on the state of the customers hearing it's not a simple case of expensive speakers not working how you want them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Ok so they sent his away you said for repair I assume?

So if there still not working while his temp ones were, he should be getting replacements shouldn't he at this stage?

Also if he has a medical card he would have got free aids, maybe not top spec, have you looked into it if they are low income they should be entitled to a medical card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Gatling wrote: »
    But it's not so she simple with hearing aids a lot depends on the state of the customers hearing it's not a simple case of expensive speakers not working how you want them
    Surely the state of his hearing is tested before being given a hearing aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pelvis wrote: »
    Surely the state of his hearing is tested before being given a hearing aid?

It is but it can fluctuate depending on hearing condition ,
    My wife is in a similar situation massive early loss of hearing but every now and again she thinks her aids aren't working only to be told her hearing has deteriorated followed by a slight recovery ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

What a difficult situation for your dad and for you. I suggest your dad puts your complaint in writing to the MD of the store. If your dad could not hear then they are not fit for purpose. You can go to the small Claims court and claim up to 1000'back I think . give them a final chance to put it right

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What a difficult situation for your dad and for you. I suggest your dad puts your complaint in writing to the MD of the store. If your dad could not hear then they are not fit for purpose. You can go to the small Claims court and claim up to 1000'back I think . give them a final chance to put it right

2k; however as the item is over that amount you do not have recourse to the small claims procedure - there isn't an option to claim for a bit to get under the 2k limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Its not clear if the hearing aid has malfunctioned more than once, or there is some need for recalibration etc.

if the purchased hearing aid malfunctions, your father would be entitled to one of the 3 r's. (repair replace refund). and if he accepted a repair, and it breaks again, he would be entitled to a replace/refund because the repair has to be permanent.

But if its a combination of medical issue, or simply settings being adjusted, then that wouldn't be a consumer issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

It seems he is not entitled to a grant.
    He has brought the aids to the shop numerous times, without any result on their part. He is entitled to his money back, as the aids seem to be "not fit for purpose". If they refuse to reimburse him, the next step should be the small claims court - it costs €25, which can be added to the claim, & is quite quick. The hearing aid supplier may not be too keen to have his name in court.
    I am in the same position viv-a-vis hearing, am not eligible for a grant, so can understand his position. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As the limit is €2000, Small Claims court might not be an option.

But there may be a way around this. Is there a break down of the cost? Like €1500 fitting and €1500 for the unit, if so then maybe he could claim for just the unit. At least it would be something.

Also get him referred (GP can do it) to the ENT dept in hospital, at least then he will be a on a list somewhere and his hearing can be checked medically just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

He can claim 2000 euros, and call the rest 'depreciation' surely?

But I would still escalate to the manufacturer as a first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

The limit for small claims has just been raised to €5000, which covers all his costs. Well worth a try.

Advertisement