Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying camper in Scotland vs Ireland

Options
  • 24-07-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Hello everyone,[/color]
    [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I'm soon moving to Ireland, from Scotland. I'm on my own, in my early 30s, I don't have a vehicle; but I've wanted to buy a campervan for some time. In Ireland I'd need to buy a vehicle: a small car would be fine, but a camper would be more fun.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]My question is whether you anticipate any problems if I bought a camper in Glasgow, and use it for my move (taking the ferry to Belfast), and then keeping it in Ireland for a few years.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]
    The alternative would be to buy a camper in Ireland, and then take it to Glasgow to load it up and go back.
    [/color]
    [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]The no camper alternative: send it in boxes, or to rent a van and then return it to Glasgow. Then fly and buy a car in Ireland. (Doesn't sound v appealing)

I'm from Spain/Fr. I don't have that many belongings, but I've been here for five years, so maybe I'd need to do two trips --which is fine.
    [/color]
    [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Thanks v much for your time[/color]
    [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Oliver[/color]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

If you owned the van for at least 6 months in Scotland, before importing to Ireland, you would dodge the extortionate VRT tax which costs 13.5% of the Irish market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

rustynutz wrote: »
    If you owned the van for at least 6 months in Scotland, before importing to Ireland, you would dodge the extortionate VRT tax which costs 13.5% of the Irish market price.
    Rustynutz ,
    are you sure this rule still applies ?
    I think he will have to register the camper in Ireland inside a certain period ( 3 months I think ) and he will then have to pay VRT .
    Just a thought ...... If my cousin bought a camper in England and kept it for 6 months could he then bring the camper to Ireland and sell it to me with no VRT ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

demoreino wrote: »
    Rustynutz ,
    are you sure this rule still applies ?
    I think he will have to register the camper in Ireland inside a certain period ( 3 months I think ) and he will then have to pay VRT .
    Just a thought ...... If my cousin bought a camper in England and kept it for 6 months could he then bring the camper to Ireland and sell it to me with no VRT ?????

I think the only way your plan would work is if your cousin was relocating to Ireland and can prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My question is whether you anticipate any problems if I bought a camper in Glasgow, and use it for my move (taking the ferry to Belfast), and then keeping it in Ireland for a few years.

Wrong side of the rust belt

• Advertisement
Advertisement