Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Guards records 1901 to 1913

Options
  • 24-07-2017 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I'm new at this and would appreciate some guidance on where to find the service record for my great Uncle.  I have his attestation record that shows his enlistment in March 1901 in Castlebar.   I'd like to find out where he served and when he left the service.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

British Army service records from before WWI are held at the UK National Archives in Kew.

Afaik, these records are not digitised but you can engage a UK researcher to get the full service record for you. Since you have his attestation, it'll have his service number.

If you think he might have served in WWI as well, then you can check the records for medal rolls/service records on Ancestry. It's a subscription site but you can do a free trial.

If you want to post his name & service number, someone here can check the latter for you first and see if there's anything.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dlea602

Thanks for the information. I will work on getting a copy of the record from Kew.
    My relative's name was George Lindsay, service number 788. The information I have came from the Chelsea Pensioners records WO 97. I am curious about the "pension" aspect as I am not under the impression that he made a career of it.  He entered service in 1901 for three years in regular service and nine years reserve service which puts the end of his contract in 1913.
    dlea602

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I see his attestation on Ancestry alright but nothing else that's obviously him on either A or FMP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jo_gil

I too have someone who was in the Irish Guards. Frank Gill died 100 years ago this year on 9th October 1917. He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

In addition to Pinky's comments - IG records are retained by the regiments archivist. There will be a charge made - I think in the order of £30 for copies of what ever they have, address:
    The Regimental Archivist of the Irish Guards , Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London, SW1E 6HQ. 

Also you might be interested to read the book written by Kipling in honor of his so who died serving with IG in WW1, describing life and events in the style of a docu-drama

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jo_gil

I too have someone who was in the Irish Guards. Frank Gill died 100 years ago this year on 9th October 1917. He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

In addition to Pinky's comments - IG records are retained by the regiments archivist. There will be a charge made - I think in the order of £30 for copies of what ever they have, address:
    The Regimental Archivist of the Irish Guards , Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London, SW1E 6HQ. 

Also you might be interested to read the book written by Kipling in honor of his so who died serving with IG in WW1, describing life and events in the style of a docu-drama

• Advertisement
Advertisement