Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do liquidation stores make up brand names?

Options
  • 23-07-2017 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Bought a mattress recently from a liquidation warehouse and am happy with it and the price.

For want of anything better, I looked up the brand name on Google but the only references to that name are from the liquidation warehouse. It seems as though the liquidators invented the name, which makes me wonder if there's any substance to the information beneath the name.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stores of every kind make up brand names. Its also possible that they took stock from another retailer that made up said name before collapsing.

A lot of "liquidation stores" do not actually sell stock bought from distressed outlets - its now basically a term to apply to any shop selling stuff below RRP. In the Liquidation Warehouse's case, a lot of their stock a good 5+ years ago came from Flanagans but there are now no major furniture chains actually going in to liquidation and they have an established brand and multiple shops so selling other stuff is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Thank you, thank makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A variation on so-called 'liquidator sales' making up names was the phenomenon of established stores bringing in stock from other stores to cash in on January sales fever. I recall in the late 1980s buying bath towels in the January sale in Switzers (where BT is now on Grafton St.) and noticed that the labels had been cut off which made it highly probable that they had been imported from Marks & Spencer in the UK and the 'St. Michael's' labels had to be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

There's a huge amount of rubbish manufactured in China and they will put whatever name you want on the goods.

You probably weren't ripped off, but I doubt very much if you got value.

Advertisement