Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat 5th year?

Options
  • 22-07-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have successfully completed 5th year this year , and was ready to start Leaving cert . However during this summer my family and I moved to a different town . There is only one secondary school in this town , we do not drive and I won't be able to get a bus either, so I have no other choice than to attend this school.Last year my subjects were , English,Maths, Irish, German, Accounting ,Biology, and Chemistry. Unfortunately this school does not have German or Accounting . Should I repeat 5th year with new subjects or go ahead with 6th year ? Is one year enough time to learn a new subject? Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Aborges wrote:
    I have successfully completed 5th year this year , and was ready to start Leaving cert . However during this summer my family and I moved to a different town . There is only one secondary school in this town , we do not drive and I won't be able to get a bus either, so I have no other choice than to attend this school.Last year my subjects were , English,Maths, Irish, German, Accounting ,Biology, and Chemistry. Unfortunately this school does not have German or Accounting . Should I repeat 5th year with new subjects or go ahead with 6th year ? Is one year enough time to learn a new subject? Please help.

Do 6th year and do German and accounting on your own imo. Just finished 6th and I'm sorry I didn't study any subject alone that the school doesn't do

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

The thing is that you'll probably have to have a 7 subject timetable when you go to the new school, so if you continue German and accounting alone, you'll be doing 9 subjects.

I'd be wary of trying to do any subject in 1 year - they're 2 year courses for a reason. That said I understand that you probably don't want to spend another year in school. If you are really reluctant to repeat, you could catch up on the two extra subjects during this summer? It'll be hard work but if you're focused it could save you an extra year at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Aborges wrote: »

Have you discussed the issue with your new school? I definitely don't think you should repeat 5th year. Realistically you wouldn't be able to take up a different language in two years anyways so I think you're better off keeping German. Ask if you can sit in the back of a class in your school and study German. There's no reason for you to take up a new subject. You might need to get grinds in German around the time of your oral but other than that I'd say you'll be fine.

With accounting you can either do it on your own as well or just take up a new subject that you could get done in a year. This just depends on your choice. Economics, business, geography and applied maths are all subjects people take on when repeating so you should be able to get them done in a year if they are offered in your new school.

With that being said, if you're not happy with your subjects overall, than maybe you should repeat 5th year, as it'll give you a chance to pick completely new subjects.
    I'd be wary of trying to do any subject in 1 year - they're 2 year courses for a reason.

The OP already has a year done in his/her subjects and therefore wouldn't be trying to do a 2 year course in 1 year. He/she would be just trying to do the 2nd year of the course on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    The OP already has a year done in his/her subjects and therefore wouldn't be trying to do a 2 year course in 1 year. He/she would be just trying to do the 2nd year of the course on their own.

"Is one year enough time to learn a new subject?"

I think OP was wondering here whether they could take up 2 new subjects in place of German/accounting at their new school. I just wanted to warn them of the disadvantages of that in terms of effort etc, although it would certainly be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

"Is one year enough time to learn a new subject?"

I think OP was wondering here whether they could take up 2 new subjects in place of German/accounting at their new school. I just wanted to warn them of the disadvantages of that in terms of effort etc, although it would certainly be possible.
    Apologies you're right, I missed that in the original post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is bound to be at least one Business teacher in the new school. They may not offer Accounting, but it's unlikely they don't have someone on staff who could certainly help you out if you wished to keep it as one of your subjects. Or there is always grinds.

I would say go back in August with the idea of starting 6th year and see what the school can do to help you out.

Repeating 5th year I would see very much as a last resort.

Advertisement