Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunkirk; the film.

Options
  • 21-07-2017 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

The Spitfires looked absolutely glorious throughout. Just sayin'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

737max wrote: »
    The Spitfires looked absolutely glorious throughout. Just sayin'.

Spitfires always look absolutely glorious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

storker wrote: »
    Spitfires always look absolutely glorious. :)

Heard on the radio that they bought one for five million and blew it up ...sounds wreckless to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I grew up near northolt in the 60s and 70s . Spitfires from the bbmf were regular visitors 2 or 3 times a year. My mother who lived in London through the war as a kid used to break down and cry when she heard the distinctive Merlin.

They are without doubt the most beautiful aeroplane although the p51 is up there ( wasn't around in 1940 of course) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...as the pilot made a dead stick landing with no petrol but was able to get the undercarriage down with a manual emergency standby pump to operate the hydraulics on the main gear.

A similar suspense device was used in the film "Memphis Belle".

The dilemma faced by the RAF pilot on whether to stay and shoot down the opposing Heinkel or head back to base was rivetting and very accurate for both the Me 109 and the Spitfire...both had very limited range, a quality in single seat fighters which improved as the war progressed.

A spitfire take 86 gallons or 386 litres a fill, at a cost of around 650 pound sterling in todays money......for 100 octane avgas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the Spitfires for that film were copies made by gateguard UK. No real Spitfires were harmed in the making of this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

I actually most of the movie wondering what of aircraft the camera ship used for the ariel external shots was and where they picked up a airworthy CASA 2.111(HE111) as the last airworth one I'd heard of crashed in the States in 2003.... Turns out the latter was a model and the former out it was a Yak-52TW(N699DP):eek:
    The Spitfires in question were Supermarine Spitfire MkI (R9612) G-CGUK, Mk.Ia (R9632) G-AIST and VB (R9649) G-CISV. The Hispano HA-1112-M1L Buchon was G-AWHK. If i had only paid attention to the UK airshow forms last year , I would have known :rolleyes:
    The following is the address for your viewing(and drooling) pleasure(including all the camera ships) :
    http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74081

Kinda figured that those Spits that crashed in the channel were gateguard grade(the metal rod supporting the prop as the aircraft burned:rolleyes:) like many of the aircraft in both the the Battle of Britain(1969) and A Piece of Cake(1988) (though to higher degree).

Advertisement