Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to buy caravan

Options
  • 21-07-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I hope to get a small 2/3 berth caravan for next year. When is the best time of year to buy to get bargains. Budget is 2k. I'm guessing autumn.

Also, I intend to tow it myself. Is it difficult? I'll need to get tow bar onto our quasqai, has anyone any idea how much this costs. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I hope to get a small 2/3 berth caravan for next year. When is the best time of year to buy to get bargains. Budget is 2k. I'm guessing autumn.

Also, I intend to tow it myself. Is it difficult? I'll need to get tow bar onto our quasqai, has anyone any idea how much this costs. Thanks

Tow bar will cost around €300

If you buy when it's cheap, you'll have to store it (unless that's not an issue) so any savings may be off set by the cost of the storage.

Buy a damp metre (€20 ish) as it can save you buying a problem. Mine saved me twice in May when upgrading.

Not difficult to tow at all -just need to get used to driving at 80kph max!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

When is the best time of year to buy

I would say the best time to buy is as soon as you get that tow bar fitted! ;)

There's still at least 2 months of comfortable camping left. No point in missing that for the sake of a couple of hundred IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get the towbar fitted asap and get out looking. The perfect caravan could be waiting right now.

Do look at lots of vans though to get a feel for what layout you like best.

You could be camping by the end of the month, and there is nothing better !!

We don't finish until after Halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

If you buy when it's cheap, you'll have to store it (unless that's not an issue) so any savings may be off set by the cost of the storage.

Does it need to be stored in a garage/shed
    Buy a damp metre (€20 ish) as it can save you buying a problem. Mine saved me twice in May when upgrading.

How do these work. Thanks

Does it need to be stored in a garage/shed

No, but if you have the option, it's better.

How do these work. Thanks

Simple handheld device that you stick into the wall of the caravan (4 sharp spikes) and it gives you a % readout. There are varying opinions on whats 'too damp' so do your reading and have a figure that you wont go above and be prepared to walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Simple handheld device that you stick into the wall of the caravan (4 sharp spikes) and it gives you a % readout. There are varying opinions on whats 'too damp' so do your reading and have a figure that you wont go above and be prepared to walk away.

If the seller allows you to poke holes in their van with a meter like that. I know I wouldn't!

Lanshane wrote: »
    If the seller allows you to poke holes in their van with a meter like that. I know I wouldn't!

if they've nothing to hide, they don't mind. It doesn't leave marks obviously!

if they refuse, walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Out of interest what kind of money would you pay to store a caravan for the months it wouldn't be in use ?

I pay 200 per year for outdoor storage in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

if they've nothing to hide, they don't mind. It doesn't leave marks obviously!

if they refuse, walk away.

No way anyone is poking holes in the walls of my caravan. I've no problem if they want to get it checked over by a professional with a proper damp meter but not an amateur who picked up a €20 meter from eBay.

• Advertisement

db wrote: »
    No way anyone is poking holes in the walls of my caravan. I've no problem if they want to get it checked over by a professional with a proper damp meter but not an amateur who picked up a €20 meter from eBay.

*sigh*

Do some research on damp meters before you make silly comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

It doesn't leave marks obviously!

Not the case.
    *sigh*

Not a silly comment at all! I think db has researched damp meters!

Pin-type meters will only measure from the surface down to a few millimeters and obviously leave penetration marks on the surface. They work by measuring the electrical resistance between the probes, the wetter the surface equals more conductivity and lower resistance.

Pinless meters work down to about 20mm below the surface using high frequency wave technology. Pinless meters leave no damage to the surface. They are alot more expensive but give much more accurate results.

OP, get it checked over by a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Hi,any chance you could pm me the number for outdoor storage in swords?
    I pay 200 per year for outdoor storage in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

*sigh*

I've done my research but it's obvious you haven't. Those cheap damp meters are only suitable for measuring the damp in firewood.

Advertisement