Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram

Options
  • 21-07-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Will increasing ram increase video processing speed?

Spec is i7 4790 3.60ghz 16gb ram. So will increasing it to 32gb ram help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Depends. 16GB is usually plenty for video editing and encoding. You'll want to monitor your task manager or some other hardware monitor program to see how much RAM is being used when you are working on these tasks. If it is hitting the limit of 16gb, then it will start performing disk accesses to move information in and out of RAM. This will be slow, even if the disk in use is an SSD (a very fast hard drive).

If you are seeing issues in video preview playback, you may want a low end graphics card to help out, as the integrated graphics might be struggling. A GPU will not help out in encoding through, as CPU based encoding is simply the best quality at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No.

Either upgrade to a newer/faster/higher core-count processor, or get a faster SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Cheers, but what if I was doing other tasks while the rendering process was going on?

I use premier 13 and camtasia for video.

My graphics is Gforce GTX 750

& duel screens

So when all is going on I could be rendering one vid, recording another and dvd drive going, 2 screens on the go with me receiving emails searching internet or maybe editing a photo in photoshop or writing a letter in word.

Havent noticed anything really except a juddery video off disc but that could have been the dvd, but never quite sure how long a video is supposed to take when rendering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's incredibly intensive on the CPU as you are basically asking it to juggle recording and encoding. Both are similar operations and should probably be done individually since doing both will basically resolve to "prioritise the recording at the expense of the encoding".

Kiki has it right in that if you really want this workflow to work faster, you are looking at upgrading the CPU to something like an 8Core/16Thread solution from either AMD or Intel. I'll defer to others with more video encoding experience though.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That's incredibly intensive on the CPU as you are basically asking it to juggle recording and encoding. Both are similar operations and should probably be done individually since doing both will basically resolve to "prioritise the recording at the expense of the encoding".

Kiki has it right in that if you really want this workflow to work faster, you are looking at upgrading the CPU to something like an 8Core/16Thread solution from either AMD or Intel. I'll defer to others with more video encoding experience though.

Thanks...... I did think yesterday the computer was getting a bit noisy :)

• Advertisement

Jeez just seen the price of those cpu's:eek:

Think i will not not record and render at same time any more.

4790 - €200
    16Gb DDR3 - €100
    LGA1150 motherboard - €55-70

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€211.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€88.35 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€140.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €441.29
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-21 16:25 CEST+0200

If you put your previous PCs internals up for sale you'd be looking at ~€85 (& a bit of hassle)

Alternatively, invest in a fast SSD; e.g. the 960 Evo brought down the rendering time in this test due to its massive write speed.

I am looking at 'resource monitor' while I am rendering and it is showing ....

cpu 87% - 98%

memory 23%

What do these figures mean?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Alternatively, invest in a fast SSD; e.g. the 960 Evo brought down the rendering time in due to its massive write speed.

How would the 960 Evo help ?.........Would it be the transfer speed of the finished rendered vid onto the HD and the very fast write speed of the Evo allowing all things to work faster?

123shooter wrote: »
    How would the 960 Evo help ?.........Would it be the transfer speed of the finished rendered vid onto the HD and the very fast write speed of the Evo allowing all things to work faster?

Just in general, SSD as a "scratch disk" speeds up rendering times.

Compare HDD vs SSD here (old)
    http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/how-to-render-faster-and-speed-up-adobe-premiere-pro

I'd recommend a TLC SSD >400Gb
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=hdssd&xf=222_500%7E252_480%7E4851_3
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=hdssd&xf=222_500%7E252_480%7E4851_1

• Advertisement

Ok I think I am understanding this now.

cpu is giving its all at up to 98% for the one rendering process in operation. If I try 2 similar processes the cpu is only giving up to 49% to each process.............So for faster multi processes use a faster more capable cpu.

Only a quarter of my ram is being used in same rendering process at 24%. It is doubtful I will exceed my 16gb's?

Hard drive can only accept info at set write speed.......increase this write speed and allow cpu to transfer processed vid from ram to hd?

Is this correct?

123shooter wrote: »
    Ok I think I am understanding this now.

cpu is giving its all at up to 98% for the one rendering process in operation. If I try 2 similar processes the cpu is only giving up to 49% to each process.............So for faster multi processes use a faster more capable cpu.

Only a quarter of my ram is being used in same rendering process at 24%. It is doubtful I will exceed my 16gb's?

Hard drive can only accept info at set write speed.......increase this write speed and allow cpu to transfer processed vid from ram to hd?

Is this correct?
    That last point is the most pertinent.
    Your bottleneck is most likely the hard drive being rendered to.

Thanks K.O.Kiki .......... I never knew how it worked until now.:)

When rendering finished and closed down my cpu usage dropped to 2% - 6% and memory at 21%. Just shows what gets used when video rendering.

When rendering finished and closed down my cpu usage dropped to 2% - 6% and memory at 21%. Just shows what gets used when video rendering.

Advertisement