Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops using contactless on behalf of the customer

Options
  • 21-07-2017 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Just ask for a card receipt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I always ask them not to tap the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MommySquish

Usually they ask first, but there has been once or twice where they didn't and I pointed out how bad that is and why.

I also tend to not hand over my card. I hold onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Even if they ask first, taping it under the counter away from the customer's sight is clearly not the way it should be done!

I feel this will get sorted when the likes of Apple Pay and Android Pay become mainstream though.

People won't hand over their phone (or even less their watch) as easily as their card and those shop owners will have to rethink the way they do things.

Really the only proper way is to have the POS terminals on the counter or in a cradle just in front of the customer so they the can see the amount displayed on the terminal and tap the card/device themselves. Most large chains are doing that already and the issues is mostly with small independant coffe shop type of places.

And I don't have time to check right now, but I would guess it is against the contract merchants sign with the bank providing them a POS terminal to tap cards on behalf of a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From previous discussions (I've had this issue too) its against the terms they agree to with their card services provider but most shop assistants what have a clue about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I hate it as it takes days to hit your bank account whereas if u use your PIN it comes out straight away...,

Masala wrote: »
    I hate it as it takes days to hit your bank account whereas if u use your PIN it comes out straight away...,

Doesnt have to, thats just your bank living in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

ED E wrote: »
    Doesnt have to, thats just your bank living in the 90s.

Anytime I've used it with two different banks, on 2 credit cards and 2 debit cards and as well as the same on my phone it has taken days to come out. Pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anytime I've used it with two different banks, on 2 credit cards and 2 debit cards and as well as the same on my phone it has taken days to come out. Pain in the hoop.

Depends on the service they use. Payments should be processed that evening, be pending for 5 days and then process. But some are bad, take days to even upload a batch job, meaning a large delay before you see it. Honestly, thats between the vendors and the customer(visa/place you bought from), but that could clean that up quickly if there was pressure on all party's.

Masala wrote: »

I make dozens of contactless payement each month, and I can only remember 2 or three times this year whereby it was process a few hours later or the next day. My bank sends instant notifications for each processed payment to my phone/watch, so I'd definitely notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's bad practice. Have a word with the manager, explaining that this type of behaviour leaves customers open to being scammed and the shop receiving a bad reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

From previous discussions (I've had this issue too) its against the terms they agree to with their card services provider but most shop assistants what have a clue about it.

I just checked the contract for BoI payment acceptance and there's no mention of having to ask to use contactless. Other companies may have it in their terms though.

Time wrote: »

I just checked the contract for BoI payment acceptance and there's no mention of having to ask to use contactless. Other companies may have it in their terms though.

Would also be worth checking Visa and MasterCard - they probably have their own T&Cs or guidelines you have to adhere to when using a terminal which supports their cards.

Edit: actually it says here there is no rule in Ireland regarding this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bob24 wrote: »
    I make dozens of contactless payement each month, and I can only remember 2 or three times this year whereby it was process a few hours later or the next day. My bank sends instant notifications for each processed payment to my phone/watch, so I'd definitely notice.

Just back from the local chemist where I was talking about this. She says that quite a few customers give out about it taking so long to come out of their account, rather then their usual instant deduction using the pin number

whiterebel wrote: »

Just back from the local chemist where I was talking about this. She says that quite a few customers give out about it taking so long to come out of their account, rather then their usual instant deduction using the pin number

Assuming customers are not confused between pending transactions and cleared transactions, the chemist should should talk to their bank. They probably have an terminal which is processing transactions offline. I honestly very rarely come across those nowadays Ns usually get a payment notification from my bank within a few seconds after tapping my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even if they ask first, taping it under the counter away from the customer's sight is clearly no the way it should be done!
    This.
    Who knows what else they may be doing when they have your card out of sight..

I'm trusting, but only to a point.

Irish Banks yeah?

With N26 my watch beeps before the card terminal even says accepted. KBS are the same and possibly PTSB.

Irish banks are way behind the curve on most things. BoI are just tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

In a well known galway pub last night I ordered a round of drinks I used my card he never asked me if I wanted it tapped he just done it anyway but the majority of places I go they ask you first I always refuse because it doesnt leave my account at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Assuming customers are not confused between pending transactions and cleared transactions, the chemist should should talk to their bank. They probably have an terminal which is processing transactions offline. I honestly very rarely come across those nowadays Ns usually get a payment notification from my bank within a few seconds after tapping my card.

Bob how do you get notifications and which bank are you with may I ask?

I'm with BoI, no such thing as a notification when doing a contactless payment afaik. My gf is with TSB and has a serious problem with delays so will only use a pin (annoying as hell). She thinks it's with every business but I'm sure it's just a few. I don't think she can get notifications either.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I don't really have problem with this for the following reasons:

- 30 euro limit
    - max limit on contactless transactions before PIN is required
    - heuristic detection of questionable transactions
    - instant notification on my phone when transacion occurs

If your bank doesn't have the latter then change bank.

• Advertisement

Bob how do you get notifications and which bank are you with may I ask?

I'm with BoI, no such thing as a notification when doing a contactless payment afaik. My gf is with TSB and has a serious problem with delays so will only use a pin (annoying as hell). She thinks it's with every business but I'm sure it's just a few. I don't think she can get notifications either.

I'm with N26 (German online bank which is officially available to Irish residents). Also use a Curve card which is piggybacking on my PTSB Visa Debit.

Both have a pretty nice app which sends a notification instantly when a transaction is processed on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

With BOI a tap costs 1c whereas using pin cost 25c per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

2forjoy wrote: »

Am curious as to why some people are still paying fees and charges on their accounts, I'm with a bank that is fee free as long as I meet certain conditions. Didn't think most people were still paying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Just don't hand over your card. There should never be a reason for your card to leave your hand these days.

Just don't hand over your card. There should never be a reason for your card to leave your hand these days.

In principle thats the idea, but some establishments fit the hardware in a way that makes that impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Why are you handing over your card?

Would you hand over your wallet if you were paying cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

In principle thats the idea, but some establishments fit the hardware in a way that makes that impossible.

If the staff are saying that this is the case they're lying. If you'd used up your contactless for the day or you were making a sufficiently big purchase you would have to input your pin, and for that you would have to have direct access to the machine.

If it's truly not possible then the shop needs to be reported as the whole principle of credit & debit cards has been that you never have to hand over your card for years now, long before contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I've never thought of this being an issue but will definitely be more aware now when using!

If the staff are saying that this is the case they're lying. If you'd used up your contactless for the day or you were making a sufficiently big purchase you would have to input your pin, and for that you would have to have direct access to the machine.

If it's truly not possible then the shop needs to be reported as the whole principle of credit & debit cards has been that you never have to hand over your card for years now, long before contactless.

You have a point - it's more that in many places it is setup in an impractical way and because a contactless transaction doesn't require point approval the staff doesn't bother presenting the terminal to the customer (or if it is very badly setup, asking the custom to go with them wherever the terminal is located).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

2forjoy wrote: »

I think AIB are 15cent per transaction.....they were when €15 was the limit. Don't know if they went up with the increase in the limit to €30

Doors anyone know the increase in online ads for wallets that protect your card for rogue mobile machines that could be tapping everyone for €30 just by standing beside them in a queue etc......What is the world coming to !!!!

Advertisement