Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR Upgrade

Options
  • 21-07-2017 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my system to be able to get a VR installed and play around with it.

Specs are as follows
    i7-4770k
    r9 290 tri-x
    16gb DDR3
    Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 motherboard

Am I correct in thinking I just need to upgrade the graphics card? It is showing its age and starting to feel it at max settings in 1080P.

Or do I need to start looking at processor and motherboard too ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The R9 290 is still a decent card so a meaningful upgrade would mean an GTX1070 in the €450+ ballpark. Anything else would be a sideways step though AMD are bringing out new Vega cards shortly, might as well see what sort of value they offer.

Your processor is fine. You can overclock it if you want, though even at stock should be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would say you might get away with your current card as I have the R9 390 with an older proc and it works fine
    try the Steam test to see though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

An R9 290 along with a GTX 970 is the recommended (as opposed to minimum) spec for Oculus. Remember, Oculus unlike SteamVR (yet) has an amazing tech called ASW (Asynchronous Space Warp) which allows framerates to dip below 90 down as far as 45fps while still delivering 90fps to the VR headset. You just won't be able to go mad with the supersampling settings or detail settings in game.

It means you are already good to go with that GPU and will serve you well until you get to see what Vega delivers assuming you want to stick with AMD or wait till all the Cryptocurrency induced crazy GPU pricing dies back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

The R9 290 is still a decent card so a meaningful upgrade would mean an GTX1070 in the €450+ ballpark. Anything else would be a sideways step though AMD are bringing out new Vega cards shortly, might as well see what sort of value they offer.

Your processor is fine. You can overclock it if you want, though even at stock should be perfectly fine.

I haven't felt the CPU lagging behind at any stage so far.
    Skerries wrote: »
    I would say you might get away with your current card as I have the R9 390 with an older proc and it works fine
    try the Steam test to see though

Did that test and I've put up the print screen. It's saying it's capable of running a VR set. The only recent game that I've seen the GPU suffer a bit is PUBG at ultra settings, fps going like crazy between 20-45-60+
    Calibos wrote: »
    An R9 290 along with a GTX 970 is the recommended (as opposed to minimum) spec for Oculus. Remember, Oculus unlike SteamVR (yet) has an amazing tech called ASW (Asynchronous Space Warp) which allows framerates to dip below 90 down as far as 45fps while still delivering 90fps to the VR headset. You just won't be able to go mad with the supersampling settings or detail settings in game.

It means you are already good to go with that GPU and will serve you well until you get to see what Vega delivers assuming you want to stick with AMD or wait till all the Cryptocurrency induced crazy GPU pricing dies back down.

I was leaning towards the Rift as well,mostly because the space needed to set up the Vive, and I didn't even know about ASW. I've seen the prices of cards have gone crazy recently.

I guess I'll be taking the plunge with a new Rift and upgrade the GPU(maybe even the whole PC) at a later stage.

Thanks

Advertisement