Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIK on Crew Cab commercial vehicle

Options
  • 20-07-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I may be getting a crew cab commercial vehicle (4 seats) from my employer.
    On the revenue website it say that BIK for vans is calculated at 5% of OMV (original market value). A regular van is typically 2 seats. What rate of BIK will I have to pay on a crew cab of 4 seats even though it is registered as commercial?

Thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

omega99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I may be getting a crew cab commercial vehicle (4 seats) from my employer.
    On the revenue website it say that BIK for vans is calculated at 5% of OMV (original market value). A regular van is typically 2 seats. What rate of BIK will I have to pay on a crew cab of 4 seats even though it is registered as commercial?

Thanking you.

The car rate.

Unless your employer does it wrong...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

This is the definition of a company Van per S 121A TCA-

Definitions
    “van” means a mechanically propelled road vehicle which is designed or
    constructed for the carriage of goods or other burden, has a roofed area or areas to
    the rear of the driver’s seat, has no side windows or seating fitted in that roofed area
    or areas and has a gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kilograms.
    (1)
    “gross vehicle weight” in relation to a vehicle means the laden weight which the
    vehicle is designed or adapted not to exceed when in normal use.

You may note that it does not say anything about the number of seats, rows of seats etc. The main thing is that there is a roofed area the rear of the drivers seat that has no windows or seating fitted.

If this is the case then it is a van and the 5% rate should apply, if not then it is a car and the car rate applies. It does not matter what it is registered as for road tax or VRT.

Best Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

dbran wrote: »

Definitions
    constructed for the carriage of goods or other burden, has a roofed area or areas to
    the rear of the driver’s seat, has no side windows or seating fitted in that roofed area
    (1)
    “gross vehicle weight” in relation to a vehicle means the laden weight which the

You may note that it does not say anything about the number of seats, rows of seats etc. The main thing is that there is a roofed area the rear of the drivers seat that has no windows or seating fitted.

If this is the case then it is a van and the 5% rate should apply, if not then it is a car and the car rate applies. It does not matter what it is registered as for road tax or VRT.

Best Regards

dbran

Crew cabs have Windows and so won't be considered as vans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Crew cabs have Windows and so won't be considered as vans.

The question is are there windows in that roofed area with no seating.

dbran wrote: »

Definitions
    (1)

Best Regards

dbran

+1

Replace the words "windows" and "seating" with "cats" and "dogs".

If you have a dog behind the driver's seat, it's a car. If you have a cat behind the driver's seat, it's a car. If you have both, it's a car (and there's a good chance you're going to crash if it all kicks off..!).

• Advertisement

+1

Replace the words "windows" and "seating" with "cats" and "dogs".

If you have a dog behind the driver's seat, it's a car. If you have a cat behind the driver's seat, it's a car. If you have both, it's a car (and there's a good chance you're going to crash if it all kicks off..!).

You could have the cat or dog in the load bay of a two seat not on a seat so I think the analogy is not a very useful one.

You could have the cat or dog in the load bay of a two seat not on a seat so I think the analogy is not a very useful one.

Whoooooosh! (That's the sound of my analogy going over your head BTW ;))

My analogy has no reference to seating in it, I'm REPLACING seating with the word dog/cat.

The point of the analogy is to demonstrate that, to fail the van test, a vehicle needs to only have EITHER seating OR windows (dog OR cat) in a roofed area that is behind the driver's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

What about car derived vans with blacked out back windows? Can the likes of this really qualify as a commercial van/ https://cavanaghs.com/used-cars/2012/hyundai-i30-crosswagon-commercial-3-dr/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

Far as I am aware they qualify as they have no seats behind the driver and more importantly from a revenue perspective they have been modified so the windows in the rear don’t function either.
    I have a commercial qashqai that was modified from passenger and that is part of the process along with removing the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Buy a lorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement