Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea on how I can find the civil cert index for a 1876 marriage

Options
  • 20-07-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm driven half mad with this one,

I have been trying to track down the Civil Registration of the marriage of Jeremiah Foley and Julia McCarthy that took place in St Finbarr's South in Cork on the 12th of November 1876.

I have found all the parish record of the marriage and the birth certs for their children etc, including the census records. But I cannot find the civil cert for their marriage. I've tried every variant of their names in the usual sites (irishgenelogy, fmp, ancestry and familysearch etc) but I cannot track down the index for their marriage.

Does anyone have any ideas for where else I can look as I really want to track this down to confirm their fathers name, and hopefully an address to see if I can get any further. I know she was from Mallow and he was from Upton in Cork. I suspect that he is the son of Jeremiah Foley and Mary Collins as the dates from the census match to a parish record in Innishannon, of which Upton is part of, parochially speaking.

Any tips or advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

dom101 wrote: »
    I'm driven half mad with this one,

I have been trying to track down the Civil Registration of the marriage of Jeremiah Foley and Julia McCarthy that took place in St Finbarr's South in Cork on the 12th of November 1876.

I have found all the parish record of the marriage and the birth certs for their children etc, including the census records. But I cannot find the civil cert for their marriage. I've tried every variant of their names in the usual sites (irishgenelogy, fmp, ancestry and familysearch etc) but I cannot track down the index for their marriage.

Does anyone have any ideas for where else I can look as I really want to track this down to confirm their fathers name, and hopefully an address to see if I can get any further. I know she was from Mallow and he was from Upton in Cork. I suspect that he is the son of Jeremiah Foley and Mary Collins as the dates from the census match to a parish record in Innishannon, of which Upton is part of, parochially speaking.

Any tips or advice would be great.

Try 1877 cork , volume 5 - page 160.
    Although priests are usually fairly prompt in registering marriages, a few might be a little late. Also volume 5 pre 1878 would have been first quarter, not long after November 1876

Only problem is that the bride is recorded as Ellen McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dom101

Thanks I'll look into that.

I should mention I did something along those lines already. There was another Jeremiah Foley that was married in the 1st quarter of 1877 so I took a punt and got the cert from the GRO but no luck.

Funnily enough I can't find any indexes for marriages in the 4th quarter of 1876 so I wonder if they are even online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I think you'll need to look to UK records in the 1800s we were under britush rule.

Thanks I'll look into that.

I should mention I did something along those lines already. There was another Jeremiah Foley that was married in the 1st quarter of 1877 so I took a punt and got the cert from the GRO but no luck.

Funnily enough I can't find any indexes for marriages in the 4th quarter of 1876 so I wonder if they are even online.

The indexes were only quartered from 1878. Prior to that you know the quarter of registration from the volume number -
    Q1 = vols 1-5, Q2= vols 6-10, Q3=vols 11-15, Q4=vols 16-20

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dom101

tabbey wrote: »
    The indexes were only quartered from 1878. Prior to that you know the quarter of registration from the volume number -
    Q1 = vols 1-5, Q2= vols 6-10, Q3=vols 11-15, Q4=vols 16-20

Thanks, that explains it. It must just be standard reporting format on the irishgenealogy website. I only paid attention to it for particular record.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that explains it. It must just be standard reporting format on the irishgenealogy website. I only paid attention to it for particular record.

Yes, they put them all down as Q1, just to fill the box.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

screamer wrote: »
    I think you'll need to look to UK records in the 1800s we were under britush rule.

Why do you say that?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm actually going to lock this thread. Screamer: can you pm me if you need it re-opened, but I don't believe you're correct about the UK records and I don't want to confuse people in future.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement