Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do

Options
  • 20-07-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello im just looking for feedback or what my option s are,,ive being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder its not easy to live with,,cutting a long story short im finding it impossible to get prescribed valium or any benzodiazepines drugs,,I know there addictive,,but they do help me enormous ly to lead a better life,,what can I do to get my doctor to prescribe,,im currently using public service but before all this happened I worked every hour I could,and hoping to get back on my feet

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Doctors are very hesitant to prescribe certain things because, as you said, they are addictive. There are alternatives and if this has been going on for a while for you then it's safest to think about some other treatment. Have another chat with your gp about this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I empathize. It can be hard when you've found something that works for you but just isn't the right thing to be taking 24/7 so it's a catch 22. Benzos are great for those 'I cannot function' moments, but not on a daily basis over an extended period of time. That's why the dr is reluctant. It definitely goes in your favour if you've a history with the same doc for a few years because they'll know for sure that you've never displayed addictive tendencies. New doctors would be quite hesitant, I reckon.

I've tried out so many meds at this point that my dr knows that benzos are what work for me when the sh1t hits the fan, and he's fine about it. But that's only because I take them as needed, i.e. I'd get a 1 month script that lasts 3 months. You have to remember that these stop working as well if you're taking them every day, so you'd have to keep upping the dose, and that's when you become addicted. Most of the time, they're prescribed to be taken as needed as not as an ultimate fix to your anxiety. Have a chat with your dr about alternative SSRIs that are more anxiety focused, or maybe mood stabilisers (I don't know, as I'm not a doc), but do go in and ask about more long term treatment. Then, the dr might feel better about giving you the benzos as needed because you have a long-term plan in place and you're not relying solely on them. You really don't want to be dealing with benzo withdrawal on top of anxiety.

I hope that helps.

Advertisement