Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 3050 micro pc ,display port issue.

Options
  • 20-07-2017 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello , I've recently started using the 3050 with two monitors and have trouble with the screen going off for a couple of seconds at a time, every now and again.

I have kept my eye on the CPU usage and it nearly always happens when the CPU is maxed.
    There it's only 2gb of memory in it .

My question is , if this is a resource problem , will 8gb of ram take some weight off the CPU ?

I'm not using the PC for much , just Spotify and editing photos.

I also have a cable ordered and I'm sticking an SSD drive I have into it.

I will not buy ram if I am sure that I may have other issues.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The integrated video uses system ram. Using two monitors will use more ram. If ram is short it probably has an impact on cpu also.

Its probably detailed in the Dell specification if you download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Ok ,I suppose no harm in ordering some ram.
    It's not got much power going to it , so I suppose the display port must be the weakest link.
    The HDMI doesn't go off at all.

This thread suggests its the adapter. Scroll to the end.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19680610

beauf wrote: »
    This thread suggests its the adapter. Scroll to the end.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19680610

Hey, thanks a million for that. I've ordered the extra ram anyway , I'll check the cable I bought .
    I have display port cable going to display port on lg monitor and HDMI cable converted to dvi on Dell ultrasharp , I'll look into how it's grounded and see if there is an issue ,even coming from the HDMI side affecting the display port side.

Thanks ,I can't afford to buy a decent PC at the moment.

Years ago on macs you use to use adapters a lot. There were a lot of bad ones that gave trouble and other ones which were more reliable. Macs needed it to be exactly right. Seems something similar with the 3050.

Maybe if you can borrow some other converters and try them.

• Advertisement

I'll try the display port on its own for a couple of days and see if it's ok.
    I'll get a HDMI to dvi cable forget about adapter.

I'm getting 8gb of ram for £50 , so things should improve from now on.

Looking into the problem of DP cables , some people get BSOD just from a bad cable , because they are hot pluggable.

You'd think things get easier as time goes by :D

Advertisement