Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students with no income?

Options
  • 20-07-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm sure there are mature students out there who have left work or gone off social welfare to return to full time education and therefore technically have no form of income?

How did people support themselves? How did having no form of income effect applying for things like grants and other supports that are means tested. Particularly from 2nd year on as thats when you'll be declaring you've have no income.

I'm interested in students like me that are independant, without a spouse/or children.

I'm sure people have done a number of things, as in loans and savings.

I won't be getting a part time job myself during the acidemic year as I won't be able to juggle both. During the summer though you never know what luck might come my way. Though I'd be interested in hearing how mature students find the part time job hunt. Is it harder to get the positions then it is for then for younger tranditional students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I'd say most mature students are on BTEA. I was when I went back to college, but that was nearly ten years ago now. Wouldn't say it's changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

I'd say most mature students are on BTEA. I was when I went back to college, but that was nearly ten years ago now. Wouldn't say it's changed much.

Not everyone qualifies for BETA though. For example I don't and thats why I want to see if there is anyone on here that was in a similar postion as me.

I can't get BETA because I did an 100hr evening class with NUIM that was a stand alone certificate but was also 20 level 8 credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

DeeAvery wrote: »
    Not everyone qualifies for BETA though. For example I don't and thats why I want to see if there is anyone on here that was in a similar postion as me.

I can't get BETA because I did an 100hr evening class with NUIM that was a stand alone certificate but was also 20 level 8 credits.

I worked throughout the four years. It was tricky in final year. I had a 2 hour commute and a pretty full workload from college. But got it done.

I'd take on extra hours during the summer and save. Even doing 16 hours a week makes like so much easier when summer hits and you're not among all the other students looking for work.

I also was eligible for nothing purely on the paperwork requirements. I was completely independent but couldn't get anywhere with Susi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In my case, it was savings and strict budgeting. It just about stretched for the cost of the course and living expenses of the Academic year (thankfully it was only a one year course). It was very much a case of rationally looking at all economic activities and cutting to the minimum (excluding necessities like food etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I work full time and study part time. I imagine most mature students who have left home have no choice but to work to support themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement