Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishgenealogy church records

Options
  • 20-07-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Steam is coming out of my ears about Irishgenealogy church records - I have counted 37 attempts to solve the captcha & I still can't get in. Is it just me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's just you. ;)

Worked first time for me. At the risk of stating the obvious, have you cleared your cache and restarted the browser?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Definitely not just you KildareFan. I'm at my wits end with it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

very strange - I've had no problems

what Browsers are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I'm using firefox.

I am trying to transcribe records into a database, and it allows me about 10 minutes of transcription, then goes into asking me to prove I'm a human. Not only is it making me click through tens of captcha screens it's also making me click on cars & shop fronts which keep reappearing...

please make it stop!

Have you mailed them to complain?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have you mailed them to complain?

I've just sent off an email - who knows when or if anyone will look at it.

Tadhg does see them, but doesn't always respond.

I'm using Chrome - maybe try that?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm using Firefox also.

The shopfront one usually works fine for me but the street signs, the house numbers and particularly the car one generally take half a dozen attempts.:mad:

I also often get this screen...

422868.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

Def. worth trying different browsers - I'd also try switching off any addons, especially add-blockers, I've never seen that message - generally use FireFox & Chrome

Hermy wrote: »
    ...The shopfront one usually works fine for me but the street signs, the house number......

You can ask for a new captha (the refresh icon beside the sound option) and wait for the ones you prefer

• Advertisement

I never thought of Adblock - I'll give that a go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There are some suggestions here - involves restarting FF in safe mode to see if an addin is the cause. Lots of instances of this issue online regarding other websites - noting definitive that I see as a cause. p.s. also worth checking cookies are accepted from google and all their sub sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

KildareFan wrote: »
    Steam is coming out of my ears about Irishgenealogy church records - I have counted 37 attempts to solve the captcha & I still can't get in. Is it just me?

I don't count the attempts required, it is very variable, often I am approved without having to make any answer, but sometimes it takes a number of tries.
    I think it was yesterday, the captcha machine went completely bonkers, demanding more and cars,followed by several road signs. I gave up and looked up another website, before returning to irishgenealogy, which this time took 2-3 attmpts.

tabbey wrote: »
    I don't count the attempts required, it is very variable, often I am approved without having to make any answer, but sometimes it takes a number of tries.
    I think it was yesterday, the captcha machine went completely bonkers, demanding more and cars,followed by several road signs. I gave up and looked up another website, before returning to irishgenealogy, which this time took 2-3 attmpts.

In my opinion that just isn't good enough. They need to do better.
    Get rid of the pointless sign in procedure or make it work properly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's something to do with legislation - you have to give your name in the reading room as well. But I agree it could work much better than it does.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's something to do with legislation - you have to give your name in the reading room as well. But I agree it could work much better than it does.

You don't have to give your name to access the church records - just prove you're not a robot. I sometimes wish I were a robot since I would keep pressing the captchas into eternity with no danger to my blood pressure...

I had assumed you only needed to give your name in the reading room so they can keep a count of the number of certs issued.

As to the website - you can enter anything you like in the Forename and Surname fields when signing in - so it is quite pointless.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Hermy wrote: »
    As to the website - you can enter anything you like in the Forename and Surname fields when signing in - so it is quite pointless.

I only ever put in my initials and it works so can't see what the legal issue might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I only ever put in my initials and it works so can't see what the legal issue might be.

Its an actual requirement in the legislation which allowed them to go online. That they don't verify they're real doesn't seem to be an issue, though!

Advertisement