Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No idea what to do...

Options
  • 20-07-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for advice please.

I've recently come off the social welfare and registered with revenue. I think I signed up with income tax and I'm going to be self employed. I travel the world running poker tournaments so it's a "seasonal" job. I work at random times and at random places for a small duration.

I registered with revenue about 2 months ago and have earned a tiny amount since. They told me something to the effect of "sending in your books" before August. I want to get this done ASAP but I've absolutely no clue what to do.

Do I send in a copy of my bank statement? Do I have to hire an accountant and give them my bank statement? (I can't really afford an accountant).

I'm at my wits end now and I'm panicking a little bit. I would greatly appreciate any advice at all (no matter how small it is) in order to get me on the right path.

Many thanks for your time,
    Glenn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking for advice please.

I've recently come off the social welfare and registered with revenue. I think I signed up with income tax and I'm going to be self employed. I travel the world running poker tournaments so it's a "seasonal" job. I work at random times and at random places for a small duration.

I registered with revenue about 2 months ago and have earned a tiny amount since. They told me something to the effect of "sending in your books" before August. I want to get this done ASAP but I've absolutely no clue what to do.

Do I send in a copy of my bank statement? Do I have to hire an accountant and give them my bank statement? (I can't really afford an accountant).

I'm at my wits end now and I'm panicking a little bit. I would greatly appreciate any advice at all (no matter how small it is) in order to get me on the right path.

Many thanks for your time,
    Glenn.

It's a tax return you would need to complete to declare your income to Revenue. Since you are self employed, it's up to you to keep the proper books and records for your business which will allow you or your accountant to draw up a set of accounts to file your tax return.

Tax returns are due by 31st of October for the preceding year. For example 2016 returns are due by 31st of October this year. 2017 returns aren't due till 2018.

If you are unsure of what to do then a visit to a professional may be in order for a consultation at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Ok, I'll have to visit a professional. Can I ask does an accountant fall under the professional category here or do I have to visit a tax advisor?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

An accountant would be fine for this, I do think however that you are misreading the Revenue instruction.

You only registered 2 months ago, you are under no obligation to file a return until October 31, 2019 (you may of course file earlier).

If you were sent that in writing feel free to scan me a copy of the letter by PM and I'm happy to have a quick look for you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Did you receive a letter or email from Revenue, and if so, what is the exact wording of that letter/email?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

J.Ryan wrote: »

You only registered 2 months ago, you are under no obligation to file a return until October 31, 2019 (you may of course file earlier)..

I think you mean 2018?

And if s/he does it by August the Revenue will do the calculations, thats why august can be an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I think I might have rushed into coming to a conclusion that I have to file them by this August. Would it be any advantage of me doing it this August and going fresh next August?

Advertisement