Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road positioning. turning left.

Options
  • 20-07-2017 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Question. If I'm stopped at a normal crossroads, turning left, I'll be as near to the left kerb as I can, effectively with the tip of my left handlebar above the kerb. This stops anyone undertaking me.

What is the correct position if there is a broken white line for a cycle lane on the road? Would you be fully left (as above, but in the cycle lane) or would you stay outside the cycle lane, but then need to cross it before making the turn?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A broken white line means you may enter, as long as it's safe to do so.

In that situation, I'd still be in left, blocking anyone undertaking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sometimes i despair........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

keep calm and shoulder check.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I try to stop as horizontally as I can to stop anyone daring to undertake me, also I try to take up as much space as I can at the front so grannies struggle to cross too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭COH

Road position depends on whether you are being regular undertaken or punishment undertaken...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I try to stop as horizontally as I can to stop anyone daring to undertake me, also I try to take up as much space as I can at the front so grannies struggle to cross too!

And a quick blast of the train horn for any stragglers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

If turning left you stay a foot away from the curb so no one can undertake you, if it's a cycle lane you cannot be in it so you stay a foot away from the cycle lane and do a lifesaver to check if there is a cyclist there when you make the turn.

I can't recall seeing a dotted cycle lane, I still wouldn't go into it, there's is no need to. Cyclists get the right if way

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Goose81 wrote: »
    I can't recall seeing a dotted cycle lane, I still wouldn't go into it, there's is no need to. Cyclists get the right if way

Lanes like the attached are common in Dublin city centre. With a bike line up the left and a dedicated bike space in front of the white line.

A. Would you stay at position 1 on that picture?

B. If there was 30+ cars in each lane which position? *

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

in that exact situation in dublin city I would stay in position 1. too many cyclists around, you'd be blocking or making the road less safe for cyclists in any other position than position 1

I have no qualms about using any piece of road with any road marking when it suits me but blocking cycle lanes would be infinitely more hassle than just waiting behind 1 car at the lights.

now if that picture had a tail back in both queues and no cyclists or else a couple cyclists already up in the cycle box and there was plenty of time left on the light I'd go up the cycle lane and stay as close to position 5 there as I could so as to not have to worry about the first car turning over me if they were going left and decided they were in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

The "correct" answer is 1 or 2, I'd probably be at 3 so cyclists going straight wouldn't be stuck behind me while I waited, and couldn't over take on the left as I turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Paulw wrote: »
    A broken white line means you may enter, as long as it's safe to do so.

In that situation, I'd still be in left, blocking anyone undertaking you.

A broken white allows you to cross it to enter a premises or to undertake, you cant be stopping in it. Same for the ASZ.

1 is the only legal answer there, though 4 would be practically fine as you're unlikely be done for being an RLJ and does let you get away clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

(1) Where traffic sign numbers RUS 009 or RUS 009A and either RRM 022 or RRM 023 [cycle track] are provided, the part of road to which they relate shall be a cycle track.
    (6) ( a ) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track.

So what you say was true, however
    Substitution of article 14
    (5)(a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 (Solid white line) has been provided, save for the purposes of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

Open to correction, but that looks to me like you are now permitted to enter when it's a broken line?

EDIT: misread your post, you said you can't stop in it, not you can't enter it. Although I'm not sure it makes any difference, I don't see anything that prevents you from stopping, just parking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For me, turning left, I would block anyone coming up my inside, for my safety and theirs. I wouldn't pull alongside a car though. I would be in front, or behind a car, left foot blocking anyone coming inside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

5 or 6, 1 if i have to but i wouldn't be happy. Make room for the cyclists and other motorbikes, as I would expect them to do the same for me. Many cyclists will continue through stops and reds when they're turning left so i wouldn't want to block them. Did I mention to shoulder check? There's lots of rules that we should follow but being considerate and safe is often more important, this is one of those rules where it's better to consider the situation at the time, just look for the best position for you and others at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 liamor213

Not sure if this is the right forum but have a question regarding turning Left and queuing in a broken white line cycle lane,. If it’s a marked but very narrow two lane road and I’m turning left at a junction can i encroach into the cycle lane with broken white line markings? As it’s a narrow road if I don’t use that space it prevents traffic from moving ahead, the cycle lane ends at the junction. The reason I’m asking as I was F**KED out of it by a cyclist as he couldn’t filter past on the left, I was at the junction indicating to turn left before he arrived, as it was a broken white line and I am indicating to turn left why does the cyclist feel he has a right to filter? I was at the junction before he arrived. .he cycle around my car hit the driver’s window and shouted a load of abuse (water off a ducks back, the lack of reaction and s**t eating grin I gave him seemed to ruin his day tho). Although it got me thinking was I in the wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Broken white line cycle lane is shared road space, you were entitled to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

liamor213 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum....he cycle around my car
    No, this is not the right forum. Motors?

Posters in the cycling forum love to be held to account for the alleged actions of some random cyclist, so I'd expect you'll get a reasonable hearing there too. :D

Advertisement