Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand rig advice

Options
  • 19-07-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Looking to purchase a secondhand rig when I move back to Ireland later this month. Looking for suggestions on a rig, specifically on the life left in certain processors.

Budget is probably around 600, and will try to wait for a bargain rather than up my budget to 800.

Would an older i5-2500k or 4690K processor still be worth it? 2 more years before needing to replace? ddr3 ram would mean the whole rig would probably need to go.

Or would I be better off getting a more current processor / LGA 1151 chipset that I can maybe upgrade to a 6600K in the near future. Can keep ram and mobo this route

I see a good few decent set ups on adverts. Combining the above processors with lower end GPU's. Im happy enough to play at 1080p and a 1060/960/970 would do me for now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nothing wrong with a DDR3 system, game makers still haven't shown that the newest CPUs are necessary to enjoy games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would leave a 2500K at this point probably as it needs a fairly substansial overclock to keep up in some of the newest games @ 60fps (BF1 online for example).

For 600 you will get a pretty decent 2nd hand system. Where are you based? I would look for a 3rd gen i7, or 4th gen i5 onwards with your budget. For 600 it should be no issue to get something like an i7-3770/i5-4670 (or similar) based machine with something like a GTX970 which would run most things at 1080p high-ultra very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

I disagree on the i5-2500K
    I had one until only very recently
    Played BF4 on Ultra and no bottleneck and that's more intensive then BF1 is
    I was only running a 4.2OC on it also

600 is a good budget. there are a bunch of systems for sale on Adverts that you could haggle on.
    If you can get or already have a monitor it'll make your range of what you can get even better

That's not true at all, BF4 online is nowhere near as demanding as Battlefield 1, where are you getting that from?

In Battlefield 1 online, the i5-2500/2500K hovers around 45-50fps at stock 3.3Ghz, it needs to be overclocked to about 4.2-4.4Ghz reach a stable 55-60fps. The OP may not be interested in that.

With a budget of 600, you don't need to settle for the 2500K. It was a good processor back in the day, but why buy it now when you have the budget to get better ones. i7-2600, i7-3770, i5-4xx0 CPU's, etc are all superior and can easily be found in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

That's not true at all, BF4 online is nowhere near as demanding as Battlefield 1, where are you getting that from?

In Battlefield 1 online, the i5-2500/2500K hovers around 45-50fps at stock 3.3Ghz, it needs to be overclocked to about 4.2-4.4Ghz reach a stable 55-60fps. The OP may not be interested in that.

With a budget of 600, you don't need to settle for the 2500K. It was a good processor back in the day, but why buy it now when you have the budget to get better ones. i7-2600, i7-3770, i5-4xx0 CPU's, etc are all superior and can easily be found in that price range.

Thanks for your replies. I'm based in Dublin, but wont be back for a few weeks. Overclocking wouldn't be a problem, and most of the systems with those processors on adverts seem to have been OC'd by their owners.

But yes, ideally something with a fairly decent base clock speed to begin with so I'm not going crazy. This will be hopefully my first proper pc, and I definitely want to experiment with overclocking.

With something like an i7-3770/i5-4670 where would I be in say 2 years? I would probably be at the stage where I will want to buy my own system then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

-l-Z3k3-l- wrote: »
    I disagree on the i5-2500K
    I had one until only very recently
    Played BF4 on Ultra and no bottleneck and that's more intensive then BF1 is
    I was only running a 4.2OC on it also

600 is a good budget. there are a bunch of systems for sale on Adverts that you could haggle on.
    If you can get or already have a monitor it'll make your range of what you can get even better

I don't have a monitor at the moment so I'm looking at 600 for the rig and then a monitor for around 100.

Is there anywhere else bar adverts worth checking out? Ive been away for 6 years, don't exactly have my ear to the ground anymore.

jebidiah wrote: »
    I don't have a monitor at the moment so I'm looking at 600 for the rig and then a monitor for around 100.

Is there anywhere else bar adverts worth checking out? Ive been away for 6 years, don't exactly have my ear to the ground anymore.

You could try donedeal.ie maybe, but I mainly sell and buy on Adverts myself.
    I like the haggling :)

At stock, yea fair enough, I had min OC'd and was easily getting over 60FPS
    And I actually find both seem to be as CPU intensive as each other. I was playing both last night to see how it was doing :)

BF1 is far, far more intensive - maybe 50% more taxing on all CPU's. Some processors that run BF4 online at 60fps perfectly struggle to hit 30fps in BF1 online.

Even in the case of the i5-2500, in BF4 online it would hit almost 90fps and all cores would not be fully taxed, if you run monitoring software on an i5-2500, even at 45-50fps it's being taxed 90-100% on all cores in BF1.
    With something like an i7-3770/i5-4670 where would I be in say 2 years? I would probably be at the stage where I will want to buy my own system then anyway.

Yes, but the i7-3770 will fare out better, though an i5-4670 or similar 4th gen CPU could be upgraded easily to a 4th gen i7 which will last a very long time.

This is an extremely decent setup for €550 (and I'm sure he'd take a close offer) - is perfect for games right now with a very solid base (i7-3770K, 32GB Ram, SSD) and the graphics card is older but still decent and can easily be sold on and upgraded down the line.

Advertisement