Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC U11, Samsung Galaxy S8 or Oneplus 5 - Which do you prefer?

Options
  • 19-07-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am looking at buying one of these 3 phones, in your opinions, which of these 3 phones is the best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm currently in the same position as you, been swayed towards Op5 after few reviews and advice. Price being a big factor as alot of the specs are on par with u11 and s8

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GaryDublin

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I'm currently in the same position as you, been swayed towards Op5 after few reviews and advice. Price being a big factor as alot of the specs are on par with u11 and s8

The costs are pretty similar, the oneplus 5 is 500e, brand new U11 on adverts for 500e and the S8 the same for 550e. It's not really the cost that is swaying me, I'm just trying to choose the best phone. They all have the same processor, U11 is supposed to have the best camera, and best sound through the front facing speakers and Usonic headphones. The screen on the S8 is what is pulling me the most towards that phone, it's a stunning phone. I have seen the reviews about the oneplus 5, they are all very positive, that's why it's so hard to choose which device to buy 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

If you're a big camera guy go for S8 or HTC.

Looks wise, S8 of course has the gorgeous bezel-less screen while others have bezels. Back of phone is either Samsung style glass back on S8, bold coloured refractive glass on the U11 or dark aluminium back for the OP5.

All 3 are very fast. OP5 probably just nicks ahead speed wise. OP5 has cleanest almost-stock android UI. S8 and U11 OS skins are both meant to be good this year. Samsung UI looks nicer than HTC's to these eyes.

S8 and U11 are fully waterproofed and have SD slots while the OP5 has neither. U11 pipes out the best audio but doesn't have a headphone jack. You might notice jelly scrolling on OP5 (I haven't). S8 has Bixby.

I own a OP5 and love it but I'd say overall the S8 is the best phone. See if you can try out the S8 and U11 in a carrier shop to see if you like how it handles. Have seen people online returning/selling their S8's to buy a OP5 just as I have seen people returning OP5s to buy S8s. It's all a matter of preference. I was tempted to switch to an S8 but ended up sticking with my OP5. I wouldn't buy a U11, headphone jack is a dealbreaker and it looks kind of cheap.

Has anyone bought phones from adverts prev? I see s8/s8+ are going for low prices not too far from op5...I'm skeptical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

No but a good chunk of the sellers selling them are shops with legit good feedback or just normal users. The resale price for the S8 would be between 550-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Can anyone explain exactly how its works for these adverts sellers? I see at a quick glance u11s for shop collection for 489 and 550, sealed apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I went into the phone shop to look at the U11 versus the S8. I really can't get used to the small home button (in comparison to my S6), it didn't feel right so I chose to stick with what I have for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

If money isn't an object: S8
    If money is: OP5

(although I believe the gap between them is only around €100 now if you go on amazon Italy for the s8)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I was looking around at phones myself for the last number of weeks, to be honest I was 100% going for the 1+5 before it was released and then based on initial reviews it seemed like a clear winner. I waited for a few weeks and then it just seems that it's all stories of 1+ cutting corners quality wise etc, it's funny how the 1+ really has become the "I just Settled because of cost" phone. I went with the HTC U11 after, 1 week in and it's just simply a great quality phone. The camera is unbelievable, the UI is almost stock, the screen and the sound quality are top notch, I have the amazing silver and it really is a beautiful looking phone. One of my friends went for the 1+5 and to be honest while it's a good, fast phone it's just a notch below quality wise in so many areas over the HTC & Sammy. In car terms the 1+ is like an american car, big powerful engine in a poorly constructed body which will probably start falling apart in 12 months.

this thread is in no way helping to make a decision haha! im currently set for ordering the OP5 at the unless I can get find a decent price on the s8 or the s8+

I'd say overall the U11 is the best of both worlds between the two.

It's like the OP5 with the better screen and camera and waterproofing from the S8, or it could be viewed as the S8 with better performance and battery life from the OP5.

Had a look in store earlier, found the s8 very thin and actually quite liked the look of the u11.. Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Are you more settled again for definite on the U11 Pat?

Let us know if you spot any decent prices

Advertisement