Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on investing

Options
  • 19-07-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I have 5k in my savings I don't plan on using it for another 5 years does anyone have any advise on how I could grow this money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

nicmarie wrote: »
    Hi I have 5k in my savings I don't plan on using it for another 5 years does anyone have any advise on how I could grow this money?

Place in an index fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Search this forum, 100 threads asking same question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd definitely take a look at Bitcoin, Ethereum etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Zascar wrote: »
    I would steer clear of it if you are new to investing, which the OP seems to be.

OP stick your funds in a low cost ETF like $SPY or $VTI and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Zascar wrote: »

'New to Investing' Bitcoin running with an annualised vol of 105.46%. Awful advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I would steer clear of it if you are new to investing, which the OP seems to be.

OP stick your funds in a low cost ETF like $SPY or $VTI and forget about it.

Why are new investors always advised to steer clear of bitcoin ?

I understand the volatility and risk involved for anyone trying to make a quick buck but for the average investor who wants to put their money into something and watch it accrue over time, what's the problem ?

I lost more money on bank shares in 2008 then i've ever lost on cryptos.

Just wondering as I see it said all the time but never really got why..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Swanner wrote: »

Just wondering as I see it said all the time but never really got why..

People are scared of what they don't understand, people are scared of things that are new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Regardless of the risks of bitcoin and the volatility, calling it a pyramid scheme as if it's some fraud like Banners Brokers or the other scams we've seen mentioned on this board only makes you look like you don't understand it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/derivatives-cboe-and-gemini-strike-bitco-idUSL5N1KO5HK

Do you actually think the CBOE are making derivatives for pyramid schemes?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if you guys were to pick 1 index fund, wwat would you go with? have you any thoughts on the following:
    --
    Index Fund -- Assets Under Management -- Expense Ratio -- Year-to-Date Return

iShares MSCI Emerging Markets -- $31.4 billion -- 0.69% -- 17.77%

PowerShares QQQ -- $50.4 billion -- 0.20% -- 17.68%

iShares Core MSCI EAFE -- $26.2 billion -- 0.08% -- 15.10%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Why not just Berkshire Hathaway?
    No counter party risk
    The best stock pickers in history
    The best picker of stock pickers - remember that Lou Simpson (the guy that used invest the Geico float) regularly beat Warren himself.

And to preempt that Warren is old, if nobody did anything for 5 years with BH it would trundle along churning out cash for decades[/quote]
    Any special tax considerations for Irish people, based on this being a US stock?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Have a read of these answers: https://www.quora.com/Does-it-still-make-any-sense-to-buy-bitcoins-in-2017

I'm not saying stick all your money in Bitcoin and nothing else, but it would be worth buying some for the large potential upside in years to come.

Never invest more than you can afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Pro Shares Ultra Real Estate. Ticker URE. That's what I'm getting passive long term investors into at the moment. Tracks the US housing market.
    But DYOR first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Put your ego away..

I never said I knew jack. I also never told you I was heavily invested in banks. You made that bit up yourself.

What I actually said was I lost more on banks then I've ever lost on cryptos.

I was young and took the standard advice at the time to invest in something safe, so i invested in banks.

Just like I was advised not to buy bitcoin by people like yourself who said I "knew jack".

Thankfully I ignored that advice and continue to make decent money.

Hence the question..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

nicmarie wrote: »

You don't give any indication of how much risk you would be comfortable taking. How will you react to not getting the returns you have hoped? What if your strategy goes down 25% , will you have the composure to maintain your strategy or will you panic and sell ?

My advice is to not look for advice on an online forum. If I had 5k to invest this is the last place I would come.

Also, I would sooner trust a poster who shares experience in their mistakes then posters who confidently advise on strategies like it's a sure thing. Think of the gambler who only ever tells you about the wins, but is quiet when things aren't going so well.

Egos lead to people advising other people on investments without risk analysis. Think of it like the way a gambler would say "that horse is a good bet", it's really not too different.

The entire financial system is chaos and based mostly on sentiment and consensus (people following each other). It is also manipulate by people with more resources and knowledge then any of us. It is regulated to protect the system not small investors. Bank shares were once considered a safe bet. What's to say there aren't suggestions you are getting here that may not end up the exact same kind of junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Swanner wrote: »
    Telling me you were very heavily invested in banks in 2008 tells me you know jack about investing.

Put your ego away..

I never said I knew jack. I also never told you I was heavily invested in banks. You made that bit up yourself.

What I actually said was I lost more on banks then I've ever lost on cryptos.

I was young and took the standard advice at the time to invest in something safe, so i invested in banks.

Just like I was advised not to buy bitcoin by people like yourself who said I "knew jack".

Thankfully I ignored that advice and continue to make decent money.

Hence the question..
    That's fine for you but for someone looking for investment advice and who seems to be new to investing (sorry if that is not the case), advising them to invest in speculative cryptocurrency is probably not the best line to take. It is arguably not investing and more so gambling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement